In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone know an easy to release "heavy pull" rope knot?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Stinny, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Stinny

Stinny

I've used 3-4 dif knots for years for different stuff. They all do what I'm after. My latest thing is trying to come up with an easy to untie knot, after it's been pulled hard (couple tons). Those knots usually end up either taking a long time to "lever" out, carefully using a screwdriver, or they have to be cut.

There's a lot of experience with ropes on the forum. Anyone got a good knot to try?

Gasifier likes this.
  2. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Tie the knot around a piece of wood, a small stick will do. Pull the stick out and the knot falls apart. It also makes the knot stronger as the rope will be biting on a wider radius.

jetjr likes this.
  3. Stinny

Stinny

Like on a slip type knot… the rope sized stick would go against the main line… then, the loops around it? Hmmm… that would definitely work, and a smooth dowel (thinking drumstick TC) with a "loop" for a grab handle might be perfect. Good idea. Thanks Mr Bunion! :yes:

Thoreau's cabin likes this.
  4. Jon1270

Jon1270

5. Stinny

Stinny

Have used a variation of that… didn't know it was called TH. Only thing I do dif is tuck the end of the rope inside the 1st loop, that's around the main line. I can see that might not be needed in a log choke pull like they showed. Easy to release when slack. Thanks.

6. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Yes. A drumstick will work. I have always just used the closest stick I could find on the ground. The stick gets tied into the knot where you were prying with the screwdriver.

7. Stinny

Stinny

:yes:

8. Oliver1655

Oliver1655

We use a saddle cinch knot or a bowline. With each, you can roll the "loop" to loosen the knot as long as there is slack in the line.

saddle cinch knot.jpg

bowline - doubled up.jpg The next picture shows how, but use a doubled up line to make easier to loosen up. You don't have to add the half hitch it shows in "C" at the end of the line.
    bowline.GIF

9. Stinny

Stinny

Thanks. A bowline can get pretty tight too tho the idea of a piece of wood slipped in there would help that too I would think (as far as getting it out)

Oliver1655 and jetjr like this.
  10. Stinny

Stinny

How's this Mr Bunion? It works slick as h*ll. Thanks for a very simple solution! Used 2 so it's even easier to slide em out. TC's gonna love this!

100_0001.JPG

I've always called this a right hand knot? Can now make that loop anywhere along a 180' line, pull a couple tons, and EASILY untie it! Way to go PB !!

100_0002.JPG

After a heavy tug, sticks slide right out and it's as if the knot never was tight… :yes: No damage to the rope will be nice too.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Thoreau's cabin and Paul bunion like this.
  11. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

It was my uncle that taught me that trick when I was a kid.

12. Stinny

Stinny

Uncles are good… :yes:

13. jetjr

jetjr

Yea I agree with PB. Tie a small stick in the knot. We do this a lot at work. Sometimes you can use a hammer to untie a bowline.

14. Stinny

Stinny

And Jet… don't those old drum sticks slide nice too with the nylon rope. I've destroyed so many ropes I've lost count, getting bad knots out using screwdrivers, etc. This works really well.

15. jetjr

jetjr

Yea that looks pretty slick

16. Stinny

Stinny

Hey Paul… just wanted to thank you again for this simple knot trick… Jet too. Just used it again this morning… I can get the hard knot out in 5 seconds… every time. They used to be called "throw away knots". And, the drumsticks hold up no sweat to the forces too. I crushed a few woods sticks I tried first (couldn't believe it). Very cool… :yes:

jetjr and Paul bunion like this.
  17. Gasifier

Gasifier

Cool thread there Stinny. I am going to have to pull this up sometime when I am on break and practice a few of these knots. Then practice a few of them on pulling some trees over. :D

Stinny likes this.