In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone have wood burning, wood cutting, or stove art?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by fishingpol, Oct 27, 2013.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol

I'm curious if anyone has any prints, paintings or other artwork in their homes related to wood burning, cutting or stoves? I've seen some old metal saw signs put up that I consider "art", but I am talking more in the lines of dressing up a room without rust. I have a copy of the Maxfield Parrish print "winter" with the subject hauling wood through the snow hanging over the mantle. Parrish created so many different winter and landscape paintings.

IMG_5578.JPG

What do you have?

2. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Our plan is to get some good, farm scene prints and I'm going to make some frames out of old barnwood that's left over from our remodel, and hang them throughout the house. I'd like to get some old Currier & Ives prints too.....love those old fashioned scenes.....

And on the carving side, those big hemlocks we dropped last weekend I saved the big rounds to give some chainsaw carving a try this winter. I'd like to make a canoe out of one long round, a boat-shaped shadowbox out of one of the long rounds, and some pumpkins out of others.........

NortheastAl, milleo, thistle and 2 others like this.
  3. Certified106

Certified106

Sounds awesome! Have you somehow figured out a way to cram 48 hours into a 24 hour day? I don't know how you get it all done. You are the man!

4. lukem

lukem

That would make an awesome inlay piece. I don't have that kind of talent, but the coloring and composition are pretty well suited for it.

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  5. Scotty Overkill

Not so sure about that, certified......but I can tell you I'm pretty much balls to the wall from dawn til well after dusk on most days. I can't stand sitting around.......

6. Scotty Overkill

Well, this evening I had a couple minutes while waiting for the fire to die down (cooked some smokey burgers on the 'pit), so I gave my woodcarving a try. This is my first chainsaw carving, so go easy on me. A piece of that hemlock we just cut down on Sunday.....

2013-10-30_18-01-38_56.jpg

Yes, it's a little fuzzy, but that wet hemlock is a tricky stuff to carve with a half-dull chain.....Not bad for 10 minutes, though.....

NortheastAl, milleo, thistle and 2 others like this.
  7. fox9988

fox9988

I made this in 7th grade art. Burnt on a piece of green persimmon, cause thats what we burned:mad: Its still hanging on my moms wall 25 years later. I wonder what the MC is now.
    image.jpg

8. thistle

thistle

That Persimmon is some tough stuff.Another seldom used name is 'American Ebony' since its closely related to ebonies found in West/Central Africa,South India,Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) & several islands in SE Asia & Indonesia.

Persimmon was a favored wood for shuttles used in textile weaving,same with Dogwood before modern synthetics were invented.Also golf club heads,other items that needed to withstand severe impact.Better than Hickory even.Very old trees will have a small core of very dark brown/black heartwood,most of the tree is off-white sapwood that's equal in strength & other properties.

9. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I have two Roman soldiers on either side of the stove pipe guarding against chimney fires!