In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anybody use Timbrens (rear suspension upgrade)?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Softwood, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Softwood

Softwood

Anybody used these? I know I've heard some of you use the airbags. My new (to me) '16 F150 squats quite a bit more than the old '06 does when hauling the camper/loaded car trailer. I found a knockoff version of them ($100 cheaper) with good reviews and thought about getting them.

2. Buttermilk

Buttermilk

I just put a set on a 2500 duramax at work. Had air bags on it and the guys like this better. It's got a utility bed that stays loaded and pulls an enclosed trailer. These were Superspring brand

3. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

Each has a place.

Timbrens don't do anything until you get down to them, and then it's pretty much a "soft" bump stop.

Air bags are variable and allow suspension travel under load. I have a pair and love 'em. Air down when empty and fill em up as needed when loaded.
    I don't have any air in mine right now because I put heavier springs in the truck. I might add a few lbs just to make the ride smoother.

4. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Nothing you can do will increase the tow capacity.

If you want to reduce the squat, get air bags.

5. Softwood

Softwood

Copy. I just saw before/after pictures and the “squat” sure seemed a lot less after they were installed?

6. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

I wasted a lot of money last year because a used car salesman sold me a line of male bovine fertilizer on payload.

the 2020 had a payload of 1817 lb. I special ordered the 2023 and it’s 2551 lbs. it’s honestly a unicorn truck that you will rarely if ever find a good used one. What ford used to call a “camper special”, now a “Heavy Duty Payload Package”. (HDPP). What ford calls max tow is not it either.

most trucks will show like a 7050 GVWR. Mine with the HDPP has a 7850 GVWR.

topic that rates right up there with oils to use, politics and religion as far as I’m concerned. Lot of folks just don’t get the truth. I’m no expert, but got a bit better grasp than most.

IMG_8345.jpeg

If you want a truck with payload or towing capacity, you’ll need to stick with likely an XLT or lower trim. All those fancy features just take payload off the truck.

FTG-05, metalcuttr, John D and 3 others like this.
  7. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

Towing capacity and payload are easily modified.

Want to carry more weight? Beef up the suspension/axle/brakes. That's what I did. It's called upfitting. You can order heavier parts on a truck or put them in yourself. When the dealer tells you it's not available, you do it yourself. I refuse to buy a new truck. They're just big cars with fancy package options. I drive an old truck and it does what I need it to. Now, a lot depends on how the frame is designed, and a lot of newer trucks don't leave room in the frame strength for a lot of upfitting. The older fords have a lot of frame.

Tow ratings are based partly on the engine, transmission, and brakes. Europe allows 2-4 times the tow rating we do here in the states, on a lot of vehicles. There are some things you shouldn't do, but there is a lot you can do if you know what you are doing.

8. Buttermilk

Buttermilk

The supersprings I installed doesn't squat much. And they give a better ride than airbags. Just remembered there called sumosprings.

FTG-05, metalcuttr, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

JD Guy, Horkn, John D and 3 others like this.
  10. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I got the 43-701 leaf spring from sdtrucksprings. It's ~3,000 lbs per spring, for a total of 6,000 lbs. I think that may be conservative, because I have had 6k in the bed and still level. The ride is stiffer, but they really do the job.

brenndatomu, John D, Softwood and 2 others like this.
  11. Softwood

Softwood

Yeah it's the XLT 'sport' package, it has the trailer brake and 'tow mode' so it's somewhat set up to tow.

That's why I'm leaning towards the Timbrens (or similar), I don't wan't the 'ride' to be any different when I'm not hauling anything (like it would be if I beefed it up with bigger springs, etc.). And I don't really want to mess with a compressor for airbags for the half a dozen times a year I pull the camper and 3-4 times I haul the full car trailer load of cutoffs from the Amish 5 miles home.

edit: also they are the most economical and look simple enough to install that even a big dummy like me can do it..

FTG-05, Horkn, John D and 2 others like this.
  12. Warner

Warner

Your on the right track, had a coworker put bags on his f150 of similar vintage. He tows an enclosed car trailer with his POS drifter in it. Got the for free out a trade in. Ran them to two events and we took them out. Helped when towing but The ride sucked with the minimum PSI in the bags and no trailer in tow.

brenndatomu, Horkn, John D and 4 others like this.
  13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Weird. About 10psi in my bags and you can't tell anything was done to the truck, at all. If I leave more in there, it rides like a brick.

brenndatomu, Horkn, John D and 3 others like this.
  14. Warner

Warner

Maybe the aluminum body has something to do with it.

brenndatomu, John D, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  15. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

Mine was the same way

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  16. blacktail

blacktail

I have Timbrens on my T100. Super easy installation, they don't affect the ride when unloaded, and they firm up the rear a bit when hauling wood. I give em a thumbs up.

17. Softwood

Softwood

Late update, I went with the Timbrens. When I first installed them I put the 1” spacers in too. That was way to rough of a ride when not hauling something so I took the spacers out. With the spacers out it is still a smooth ride on “normal” roads. Though some of the roads here in central WI are pretty poor so you’ll still feel them hit once in great while. Even with the spacers out the truck squats a LOT less then without the Timbrens. As can be seen with the fully loaded trailer in the pic.
    IMG_9341.jpeg

18. Horkn

Horkn

Looks good. How was installation of those timbrens? What weight is a loaded trailer like that? What for tongue weight?

I just hauled my new to me 25' boat ( ~5000 lbs total) from Rochester Minnesota to SE WI, and aside from extra gas consumption, it was pretty uneventful. I've got a '16 loaded lariat supercrew 5.0 with the heavy duty tow package. The trailer I have has surge brakes and I'm not a fan and want to swap to electric brakes since I have the controller. The "thump" when taking off no matter how smoothly I take off after a stop is a bit excessive.

19. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Oh?
    And where are the pics, sir?

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

X2!
    :binoculars:

isaaccarlson, Chvymn99 and Eric VW like this.