In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anybody here ever build with SIPs?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Brad M, Sep 17, 2024.

1. Brad M

Brad M

I’m going to build a home next year and am about 90% sure I’ll build a SIP house. Anyone here have any experience with it? They are supposed to be crazy efficient. I’m looking for some real life reviews.

Barcroftb and eatonpcat like this.
  2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Sorry, I have no real life review.
    I designed a building with Insulated panels, but it was value engineered and the client went with conventional framing.
    A long time ago TOH did a build with panels I think... I know they did one with ICF's.

Barcroftb and brenndatomu like this.
  3. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Basically a timber-framed house.

I can’t say I won’t consider it. But I’d rather build the timber frame and then fill in the sections than spent all the money on SIP.

another instance of how do you trade your time for someone else’s.

what I’m learning is 60% of the cost of a new building.

And from what I’m seeing of their choice of building materials and choice of labor…

I’ll figure out a better alternative.

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  4. Erik B

Erik B

What is SIP?

5. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Structural Insulated Panels

6. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Thanks for asking that question. I wondered what it meant.

7. Erik B

Erik B

Thanks. Now the day isn't totally lost. I learned something new:thumbs::thumbs::handshake:

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Ever seen thermal studs? (T studs)

Barcroftb and eatonpcat like this.
  9. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

T
    The ones with the dowels? I’m aware of them.

eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Have used SIP roofing system over ICF ; concrete forms; think Lego of white foam that snap together and fill with concrete

15 years later still working fine.

Ohh used SIP at shop with Truss overhead for living space.. HINT make sure your concrete is good square straight. Less fudge factor in panels

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024
    brenndatomu, Chaz, Brad M and 2 others like this.
  11. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Both great energy efficient systems, I believe the additional cost is why they are not popular (at least around here). Maybe prices have come down since I was looking into these.

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Owner worked for concrete company and got ICF at wholesale.. I saw plans with several others we basically went and donated labor for weekend for food knowledge and future favors. 1 mile down road.
    ICF are great downside shipping costs and change of plans; changes are cheap in design phase longer you go into project more $$$ . Most customers see problems at end..

13. fuelrod

fuelrod

I took a 2 day SIPs seminar about 18 years ago by a SIPs contractor whose got several hundred homes experience. All of his builds took advantage of the (S) part...structural or no framing.
    In short, his emphasis was highly centered on panel to panel sealing especially at the roof ridge, ventilation of the space, the importance of a HRV or exchange air to remove moisture laden interior air. Of course the efficiency and "tightness" of these panels was part of the conversation.
    What I came away with was that there are some very particular, mostly sealing air movement through the joining edges of the panels and failure to do so or properly will eventually rot the PSB skin and repairing this is VERY involved.
    It pretty much scared me away from them particularly without a lot of on site experience using SIPs due to the extreme consequences vs a highly insulated conventionally framed structure.
    At this time, "spray in foam" was not really a thing.
    This is a very interesting YT channel that really explains modern "wall science" handeleling in wall condensation using modern techniques and materials.

I haven't jumped in watching beyond the linked video but it seems to somewhat explain the science of highly insulted wall/roof construction.

14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Thanks fuelrod is this what OP meant? here, these panels are specked to order.. meaning 2 x interior or metal stud, exterior sheeting, type of wrap etc etc All I have seen have belt and suspenders approach with interior framing

brenndatomu, Chaz and eatonpcat like this.
  15. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Several years back I read a study about two identical houses built on the same street next to each other. Identical in every way down to the colors appliances ect. One was a traditional stud wall construction, the other SIP. I don't remember how many years the study lasted but I do remember the SIP house being 30 something percent more energy efficient. That's the extent of what I can contribute.

16. fuelrod

fuelrod

The "instructor" in that sips seminar was involved in some type of energy efficiency contest/ build off thingy on the mall in DC where he built a sips home and some college built a conventional framed house with the current "air sealing" measures. The sips house was many times tighter with the blower test. I can't remember (dang it) the difference, but do remember it amazed me.
    I actually didn't watch the whole video I linked. Just enough to decide weather to subscribe or not. I need to be in the right frame of mind for those kind of videos where I can devote a whole evening to the topic.

17. Creekin

Creekin

Built my shop 7 years ago with sips, so far its been good

Got floor heat with the owb and can get it as warm as i want

fuelrod and eatonpcat like this.
  18. DNH

DNH

fuelrod is right on moisture issues that combined with a lack of local trades experienced with nontraditional framed building are the main reason I chose to not explore SIPs. ICF I think would be a better option for most applications.

eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.