In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

All I want to do...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Pricey106, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Pricey106

Pricey106

Looking forward to the weekend, and all I want to do is firewood, and I shouldn't, and if you ask my arm, I can't. Pulled muscles or tendonitis from my bicep to forearm. I got out for a score up the road from me today, and could barely swing the maul, or pick up quarters. I did half a truck because the rest needs to be cut, and didn't feel like going back with the chainsaws. My wife insisted I go to urgent care and get a script for prednisone. I love my nurse wife, and her work friends, by the way. She works in the urgent care nearest to me. I should really give it a rest, but I really feel like at least just splitting this weekend.
    Then there is the honey do list, especially before Thanksgiving. I guess I will be taking it easy by doing that. Then hopefully my wing is better, and I can work on some wood. I am sitting on about 4 cords needing split, and can go get 5 to eight more that I found.

2. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Bro. May I suggest hydraulics?... CCC3E445-3B70-4009-920B-37B9AE506BBA.jpeg

3. Pricey106

Pricey106

Already have one. I usually don't take it to free firewood scores. I know a guy who got his stolen, within a half hour of running a load of wood home. I usually just quarter bigger rounds on site, then split down smaller at home. 20201116_130446.jpg

4. Eckie

Eckie

Im sure you get enough suggestions and/or preaching already.... Ive had similar injuries before, had to / needed to get things done and figured I'd push through instead of resting and recuperating. Ended up aggravating the injury more, so had to take off even longer than if I'd just laid off it for a while.

99% of the males reading this are sheepishly nodding their heads up and down at the above, they've been there done that cause we're males...it's what we do. 99% of the females reading this are shaking their heads and rolling their eyes, cause their husband/son/brother etc has done it, most likely against their "advice"....

Hope you can get it feeling better in short order....

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I hope that thing heals fast!

6. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I've got the itch too, I love this time of year. Although weather is mild the holidays are around the corner and I want to do all things firewood. Me and my son dragged these little dead guys out of the woods on edge of property about 2 weeks ago.

Man it was all the little riding mower could handle. Really need to get me another ATV.....!

20201106_142509.jpg

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

This^^^!!!!!

But, when I was in at the same age as Pricey, well ........ you know!

You may get away with it (the work) but odds are you're probably regret doing the work in your condition and end up worsening it.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Where's your son? Does he not help you with firewood? With an injury that bothersome id let it heal a bit, but who am i to talk. Ill keep going even with back and other physical issues. Ive done manual work my whole life so i just work through it for the most part. Hurt my back Jan 2019 and turned out to be disc but put the brace on and kept going. I am more mind full not to overdo it or lift big logs. Jumping out of the bed is one thing i wont do anymore.
    I know its hard, but my advice would be to do something with firewood and rest, but really favor the arm. At least get the scrip and take it too!
    Do you have a sling?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

need some FHC ointment.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

How old are you Dave?

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

He's not that old...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  12. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I hear ya, brother. I keep my splitter locked away in a shed for the same reason. I worry about someone peeling out with it. Happened to a guy down the road from me about a year ago.

I’ve found that the best cure for upper body injuries is truly, rest. I tore my right pectoral muscle about 5 years ago. Just when it would start feeling better - I’d do heavy bench, or go throw heavy firewood rounds and re-injure it. It was VERY frustrating. I finally took a year off from all things that might irritate it, and it healed up. Hasn’t bothered me since. Hope you get to feeling better.