In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Added pipe to my chimney

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by OhioStihl, Nov 19, 2013.

1. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

My stainless dura-vent cap would clog with creosote on the screen. When I clean the pipe it is very clean with a fine layer of black on the side walls. Looks more like a dusting, not even flakey. However, my screen on the cap would accumulate creosote and decrease my draft. Also, due to location, my draft isn't the best anyway. To my west is a flat field, my house sits low past the field next to trees. The wind whips across the field, hits the trees and slows down. I can often watch smoke come out the chimney then take a downward dive toward the yard and deck.

I didn't really have enough chimney to begin with. When I moved in my house I ripped out the 8in pipe that had been over fired too many times. I replaced it with 6in Dura-vent and had 9ft of stainless and 5ft of interior. I know that really wasn't enough but made it work for a while.

Today after work I removed the screen and swept the chimney. I also added a 3ft section of stainless for a total of 17ft. I will post an update if I get smoke coming out the door on reload.

Exterior shot. Hard to see but there is a brace on the pipe.
    image.jpg

Interior shot.
    image.jpg

This pics shows how my place sits low.
    image.jpg

2. Locust Post

Locust Post

I like your knotty pipe interior. I would guess that will make a difference OS....looks like it is closer to being over the high peak on your back roof now. Or is that a garage I can see in the back of the bottom picture. Either way it may have been restricting the air.

3. Certified106

Certified106

Looks good! That T6 should breathe a lot easier with the extra pipe. How are you liking the T6? I am going on my third full winter with mine and really like it a lot. How close to the Athens area do you live?

4. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Thanks Certified. I am about 1.5 hours away from you, either take 32 or 50 and you will be within 20 min of my house.

The T6 did pretty good with the pipe addition. Reloaded this morning and didn't get the smoke smell in my house. The stove has treated me well but my house is a very drafty, under insulated place. I have been thinking I would like something with longer burn times but I will just keep it till I move. It might be the perfect stove for a house that is built differently.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Looks good OhioStihl. We also are adding some height to our chimney but not for the same reason. Our chimney and cap are in good shape yet. Cap has never been cleaned and 4 years ago we ran a brush through the chimney just for kicks. Got about a cup of soot and fly ash is all. Not been cleaned since except for when my wife removed the bottom cap and got more soot and fly ash this fall. This time there were just a few flecks of black but nothing to be concerned with.

NortheastAl likes this.
  6. Trilifter7

Trilifter7

Looks good ohiostihl! I just added 3' of dura vent to mine last year and it made a big difference! Draft pulls much better now. I started at 12' and now have about 15' total.

7. papadave

papadave

I added 3 feet to mine and the stove runs better with the extra height.
    Flue temps run a bit hotter during a low burn, so I'm curious as to what I'll see at the top next trip up there.:)