In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A useful tool for firewooding

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by isaaccarlson, Jun 4, 2024.

1. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I have been using skid steers for years, and I knew I needed one, but I didn't realize just how needed it was. I got my 610 up and running this last week, and have been using it like crazy! I have run two tanks of gas through it in two days!

I have moved piles of split wood, moved and stacked logs, moved and stacked poles, bulldozed brush and trees, cleaned out the rabbit pens (we have about 70 rabbits), moved some scrap, filled a few raised beds, smoothed out some of the yard, got some dead trees out of the way, turned the compost pile, scraped the dirt and grass off the concrete pad by the barn, and ripped out some stumps.

It is such a versatile tool around the house and wood yard. My only gripe is the damage it does when turning, but even my brother's tractor left ruts in the yard because it was so heavy. I try to lengthen my turns in the yard, and it keeps the damage down to a somewhat acceptable level.

I might start stacking my wood on individual pallets and bring them to the house with the bobcat. I could have a small roof to put them under just outside the door. Can you tell me how you deal with palletized wood?

Ohio, Farmchuck, FTG-05 and 12 others like this.
  2. John D

John D

It’s good to hear you have your skid steer up and running
    You definitely gave it a workout

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I built myself some custom wooden racks, but many/most here use IBC totes

Farmchuck, jo191145, John D and 4 others like this.
  4. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

No skidstear or tractor :( bit still love the totes.

Attached Files:

jo191145, John D, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  5. Biddleman

Biddleman

I often say how much I could do or would do differently if I had a skid steer or the like. My son said I would be dangerous.

6. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I use IBC totes almost exclusively. The bladders can be cut in half diagonally to make a roof so it goes with the wood. I also make some 3 sided racks from pallets (like the IBC totes) because I don't have enough totes. Everything is 100% portable.

Stephiedoll, jo191145, John D and 4 others like this.
  7. jo191145

jo191145

I’d love a skidsteer but I live near the grass police :)
    The days is coming when I’ll have to find a solution. All my wood gets dumped in the basement and I carry it upstairs. That’s getting old, or maybe I am

8. Yawner

Yawner

They are amazing machines for sure. Friend of mine cleaned up around a huge dead elm that was felled and piled up everything except maybe a face cord I got and he did it in about 20 minutes. I sure couldn't do it anything close to that fast by hand.

brenndatomu, John D and isaaccarlson like this.
  9. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

For sure. I have been digging logs out of the grass that were dumped there a few years ago, and it takes a while, but there is no way I could move those by hand. Some of them are 1,000-2,000 lbs. I have at least 8 cord stacked up now, with another 7 still laying there. I blew a hydraulic hose today, so I need to get that fixed tomorrow.

brenndatomu and John D like this.
  10. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Pictures of the racks you built for ideas? I;d like to try something like that myself.

John D likes this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Here...older thread, and some things have changed, but still using these racks.
    My firewood storage and handling system...

isaaccarlson, John D and Farmchuck like this.
  12. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

Pretty cool! I like the little forklift! I was going to make one out of a cub cadet 149. Now I have the skid steer, but it might still happen.

brenndatomu, Buttermilk and John D like this.