In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

7 maples for the price of 1

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jonathan Y, Aug 29, 2024 at 2:10 PM.

1. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

It's hard to turn down a load of straight, clean, 12" t0 20" diameter maple logs, even when you're 5 years ahead on firewood and the maple in question is silver maple.

20240829_095109.jpg

At first glance, I thought this was a very strange tree. By the size of the logs, it would have been over 100 feet tall but only 20" diameter at the stump. Or maybe it was a 130-140' tall monster, and someone kept the big logs? Then I saw the real stump at the back of the pile.

20240829_134953.jpg

Turns out it was a 7-in-1 silver maple. 7 trunks attached to one huge, impossible to split stump. I'll take 7 for the price of 1, when the pice is free and delivered to my house.

2. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

Nasty weather today, but I couldn't help bucking up a few logs. The cutting doesn't get any easier than straight, clean, mid-size soft maple. After sharpening the chain, it was hard to even keep the saw in the fat part of the torque curve since the wood provides so little resistance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024 at 4:45 PM
  3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’d take some SM to fill the should season supply. Nice wood get. :yes:

metalcuttr and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  4. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

Absolutely. Silver maple is the perfect firewood for October, November, April, and May -- at least in my climate. With minimal effort I'll have a big pile of huge splits that will be dry in one year. Soft maple is a superstar in terms of btus for the amount of work that goes into processing it.

I would happily burn 50% soft maple and 50% oak/hickory each and every year.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Those are some sweet logs. Straighter is gooder in my book. Id grab that in a heartbeat myself.

Wishing I could score silver Maple more often. Common enough as a yard tree just don't score it often.

metalcuttr, MikeInMa and Jonathan Y like this.
  6. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

Around here they grow like weeds, get huge fast, and die young, either from disease or from snapping in half during storms. The only trees that I have ever seen snap in half at the trunk are silver maples. This ain't tornado alley. I'm talking about normal thunderstorm winds, and the silver maples just give up on life.

I'll see if I can find a photo for any disbelievers. It is hard to believe until you see it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2024 at 12:32 AM
  7. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

The reason it had 7 trunks is almost certainly because the original trunk snapped in half in a storm, and all of the sprouts that grew out of the stump turned onto trunks. The stump is 6 feet wide, so it could have been the second or third time it broke and regret. Weird trees.

8. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

Here is a silver maple in my woods that gave up on life during a thunderstorm last fall. Just a normal storm, nothing crazy. The trunk that broke was completely healthy. No rot from what I could tell. Bigger than it looks -- probably 30" diameter where it broke.

20231107_134942.jpg

20231107_135002.jpg

See that second trunk next to the broke one? It broke in half a few years earlier. I will never understand why people plant silver maple in their yards.

20231107_135245.jpg

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Planted in yards as its a fast grower. Very popular yard tree around here. Common to see large sized ones similar to your multi trunk score. Oddly I've never seen one "in the wild" either.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2024 at 8:06 AM
  10. Jonathan Y

Jonathan Y

There are lots in the wild around here. They compete well in wet forest. The seedlings do ok in the shade, so they outcompete oaks and hickories when young. And once some canopy room (sunlight) opens up, they get huge in a hurry, even in the forest.

theburtman likes this.