In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Distance for free wood...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Pricey106, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Pricey106

Pricey106

What is the furthest distance you guys will haul free wood?
    For me 20 miles if I have to cut or it's not my favorite kind. Maybe 40 miles for all cut to size, oak, locust, or hickory.
    Also I take into consideration if I have to haul out of a yard to my truck. There is a decent score about 25 miles from me, but it looks like it's a good haul out of a backyard....might give it a couple days, then get the itch to get it.

2. NYCountry

NYCountry

I try to keep everything as close as possible around 15 Miles or less

3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

My radius is roughly 10 - 15 miles but I am in a heavily populated suburban area and folks are always getting a tree dropped. But being more rural I can see expanding mileage radius. Oak is pretty available around here and all I seem to get (not complaining but man it takes long time to dry/burn). I would probably travel further for a good load of locust or hickory but you've gotta be johnny on the spot around here for that and I never really ever see it (although I just found a hickory tree on my property :whistle::saw:)

As mentioned you have to take into consideration how far you are hauling it to the truck or trailer. Which means throwing a wheelbarrow in or a hauling cart. It can be a lot of work sometimes......and for me I have to unload it back at the house and haul it around back most times. I just had a nice load of oak few weeks ago on the trailer but was afraid to hook it up to the riding tractor (need to upgrade) in fear of blowing something out. So I had to unload it into the dump cart little at a time. Would be really nice to just drive the trailer around back and unload it. I am working towards that goal someday.

4. billb3

billb3

About the length of a football field or so lately.

I've done 20 miles or so in the past but it was cutting on log loads and bringing split firewood home in a small dump truck.

5. theburtman

theburtman

Maybe 15 miles
    Before I retired I used to get a fair amount on my commute on the way home which was 25 miles

6. Jon_E

Jon_E

I bought 4 cords of cut, split and seasoned firewood this past spring because I was desperate. I drove about 20 miles round-trip for each load, 8 loads total in my pickup. Occasionally I'll pick up something along the road on the drive home that's already been cut. Normally I won't bother traveling for wood, although if it was a premium species and it was free or at least really cheap, I'd go 15-20 miles for it. I have so much out in the woods that it's not worth the gas money to go elsewhere.

7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I know someone here, that goes 3hr, round trip, for free wood.

I'm sure she'll post something here

15 miles each way, i'd say for me.

8. jrider

jrider

Not very far

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I go maybe up to 1/2 mile as that is about as far as I can go on our place. Plenty of wood to get going even less.

10. Thor

Thor

I'm spoiled. With the tree service down the street I go into my yard were they dump it. I'm working on 4 years ahead at the moment.

11. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

I am surprised she hasn't posted yet. Lol. But I really think she is using the woods to enjoy the drive and site seeing. :rofl: :lol:

12. NVhunter

NVhunter

I went 30 miles (one way) last week pulling our 10k dump trailer to get a full load of rounds of lodgepole.

In my area free wood is people trying to get rid of trashy branches and twigs... When something good pops up you have to be willing to go a little further and get it.

Not as many trees getting dropped in the high desert city of Reno, NV. Everyone who drops trees around Tahoe either uses the wood or wants to sell it for similar prices of cut and "seasoned" wood...

13. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Same here.

14. Muskoka Guy

Muskoka Guy

Tree services in my area process it mostly to firewood to sell and a few to their sawmills to sell the lumber, they dont give anything away

15. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I've gone 15-20 miles before I got some dedicated cutting areas close by. I can haul 2 cord per load, so it's worth it for good stuff. I'll still take a ride to cut fence rows on a couple farms that are 20 miles or so. Helps out farmers/friends.

16. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Best friend's place is about 15 miles each way so try to keep it between me and him since a lot of wood ends up out there anyway. The tree service I used to trim my maple a few weeks ago says they can supply me with all the wood I would want, but sounds like I would need to pick it up. Not a big deal if I'm not working 13+ hour days.
    Have plenty of wood to process now so not looking very hard.

17. bushpilot

bushpilot

I don't think I have exceeded about 1000 ft yet. It is nice having a woodlot on site.

If I had to go for free wood, I would guess about 10 miles, assuming if was not too difficult to retreive. Much more than that, and I would be thinking about a pellet stove, pellets are cheap here.

18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Usually a trip not much further outside of work unless it’s a super nice haul or on my way home from visiting a relative. I had ventured maybe about another 15 mins outside my area of work but the location was probably not much more than 5 miles outside of that city area. I was picking up a bunch of mill ends not much left of the stuff now but I’m kinda surprised I do have some I use for covering the stacks since it’s wide and flat.. Usually that kind of load has costs included but this was free. I have bought some wood, not proud of it but given the benefit, it’s still useful and other free hauls have withered it’s occurrence as I feel fortunate to do the said hoarding task.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  19. jo191145

jo191145

I’ll drive for piles of hardwood logs. Beyond that it’s on my property.

20. Midwinter

Midwinter

An hour and a half, 56 miles one way. Multiple times. But it's a pretty drive.