In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Akorn lid tore off - options on new kamado

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by basod, Jul 13, 2019.

1. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

You get what you pay for and sometimes not all that

2. basod

basod

What do you have for kamado? I know the compound has some various cooking implements from what I can gather live in a container?
    Mine will be on a deck so exterior SS and interior will be a deciding factor.

3. cnice_37

cnice_37

Only have the Grilla pellet model "Grilla" and it's made overseas as well but build seems top notch. Price is similar to BGE and KJ right?

FatBoy85 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  4. MikeyB

MikeyB

How about The Kamodo that BBQ Guru sells on their website, The Monolith. And the one that Adrenaline BBQ has to offer?
    I have been interested in these style cooker for a while and seems like a lot of companies have them. The Monolith has a lot of great options Including the BBQ Guru control system
    The Kamado Kamodo is another very expensive option, but looks real hard core.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  5. gbreda

gbreda

Agreed. Having the BGE (got a great price when bought mid winter back around 2010) but at regular pricing, the Komado Joe is a better value and similar quality. Both have lifetime warranty on the ceramics.

6. basod

basod

Those are north of BGE prices and look to be the same as a kong or vision

FatBoy85 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  7. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

I have a big joe,and it does live in a container......it has all stainless hinge/handle/vent so it probably would survive outside.....not sure if the new models are offered in stainless

FatBoy85, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  8. basod

basod

Yesterday “smoked” a smaller boneless butt on the Akorn started around 0430 and meat probes were 210 by 1000 wrapped around 0800. Couldn’t keep temps below 300. Shut it down and still had hot coals around 6pm- bottom is rusted bad and leaking

I could probably cook a piece of meat if I set on my front porch right now- fahking hot
    94f at 1830 heat index of 104

9. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

I cant like that:hair:

Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  10. basod

basod

But you did

Chazsbetterhalf, cnice_37 and Chaz like this.
  11. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

I'm kinda flip flop..I mean I was.but sometimes not...but different times yes and not that much while carrying power tools by the pool

12. Hoytman

Hoytman

The last Weber kettle I bought was $80 23 years ago and I just recently gave it away. Sure, it was close to being on it’s last legs, but it more than served me well and had a few years left even after being outside all that time. It was a simple basic model Weber. A new one is likely made cheaper now.

Will likely buy a ceramic in the near future, but I’m working on a design for a Smoke “Out House” for putting over the creek bank right now just to mess with the neighbors and county officials.

Love the Jeep!!

basod, Chazsbetterhalf and MikeyB like this.
  13. basod

basod

So this followed me home.
    ProFire Bravo couple years old with very little use. heat diffuser and grate riser- $350 couldn’t pass it up.

Attached Files:

14. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Looks real nice... Let us know what you think of it... That was a good find for sure.

I bought my Green Egg used off craigslist, cause it was the only way I could justify the purchase.

Chazsbetterhalf and basod like this.
  15. basod

basod

Will keep you posted.
    So far first cook tonight trying baked chicken
    Started some briquettes in the chimney and dropped on top of some lump as I usually do in the Akorn trying to target 350 dome- no idea if it’s calibrated
    Chicken temp probe just beeped- gotta go

16. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

20190224_165918 (1).jpg 20190224_134310.jpg 20190330_191802.jpg I goat a Primo (made in USA) Kamado All-in-One recently. They have had them on sale for ~$800 this year. I got lucky and my local fireplace store had one marked down even farther. If I were you, I would look very hard near you for a Primo dealer.

17. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Oops. Didn't see you already pulled he trigger. Looks like you found a great deal! I'm sure you will get plenty of awesome food from it.

Chazsbetterhalf and basod like this.
  18. basod

basod

I regasketed the entire grill Saturday- the purchase included an xl primo oval gasket kit.
    Ended up replacing everything under the SS bands as they were disintegrated and had broke it down to move in 1 man mode(twice)- pita to get lined back up but have some tricks now.
    Needed an extra length to finish the top picked up a bge gasket at Ace.

Over shot temps on Sunday while multitasking on startup but eventually got it under control.

There’s is a fine crack ~4” in ceramic centered near lower air flow control. Additional full length cracks in firebox ring and upper ring that were disclosed during purchase- not affecting anything.

I think this is the same mold as the Kong and a couple others that are being marketed now.

So far cooks well- learning curve on my end

19. Certified106

Certified106

Man I really like my Kamado Joe. I have both the akorn and Kamado Joe and use the Joe 99% of the time. You will really like the ceramic purchase you just made! Congrats!

IMG_20190902_095144.jpg

20. golf66

golf66

this will sound like a biased opinion and, well, it is. I have had a large Egg for ten years now. I did a bunch of cooking on a cold winter day, shut off the Egg and forgot to cover it. It snowed that night and a layer of ice formed on the upper dome. I wanted to do another cook the next day, tried to scrape the ice off and a chuck of green ceramic coating about the size of a quarter came off. I called BGE to inquire about a ceramic touch up kit. They said that the finish was guaranteed for life and a few days later, a brand new top dome showed up at my house. No charge.

basod, Thor and gbreda like this.