In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Keeping your house air conditioned but only down to 78 degrees

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Backwoods Savage, Aug 21, 2019.

1. justdraftn

justdraftn

I leave mine at 74. I think it works better
    than letting the house heat during the day
    and try to cool it down at night.

I have family in AZ. Their constant
    living temp is 80F w/the AC running
    24/7. Yikes!

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

bear 1998, Chaz, Jack Straw and 7 others like this.
  3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:startled:

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:whistle:

:rofl: :lol:

huskihl, Chaz, Jack Straw and 6 others like this.
  5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Welcome to the club, gus fring ! :handshake:
    Thanks for joining up and posting!:yes:

6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

When I was single I didn't even use AC.. In my opinion it just made me lazy. I would come in and get cooled off and comfortable and not want to go back outside and finish the job.

Now I am happily married. If I want to remain so, I will have AC in the house! My wife is from Canada and has no tolerance for heat and humidity. Our window AC in the bedroom is so old it doesn't even tell you what the temp is. My wife comes home she has one setting Max AC dehumidifing she hits the power switches plugged into and the AC stays on. I know this cost more money. And I don't care cuz it makes my wife want to cuddle!!!

What she does not want to do if she's hot and sweaty!!
    My electric bill doesn't go over a hundred and twenty a month anyway. That's with the AC is running.. Normally 80. So 1.25 a day in July and August! Worth it to me:D

However I have commented to her we could save a lot of money if we air condition the house to 80 in the summer and heated it to 65 in the winter!!
    Her response is: you can I just won't live in it:heidi::rofl: :lol:

fuelrod, Earl764, Chaz and 8 others like this.
  7. Firebroad

Firebroad

Like a lot of folks of a certain age, myself included, only rich people and businesses had A/C when I was young. We used to go the the movies to enjoy the air in the summer--didn't matter what was playing. My mother and I sat through three showings of Planet of the Apes one heat wave and drank soda and ate ice cream. For the both of us it was less than $4. They didn't kick you out between shows back then.
    When my husband and I bought our second house, it had two window air conditioners in it. Knowing we could not afford to run them, we sold them. Ten years later, we bought three--one for the living room, and one for each bedroom. We figured we had arrived!
    Now I have central that I had installed in the house I have now. Love it, and it probably cost less than those window units.

Midwinter, Chaz, bear 1998 and 6 others like this.
  8. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Having a short cold spell here. Yesterday was mid 60s. Last evening did have the window in livingroom wide open. Ask Chaz to please just crack it when he came to bed. He did. Outside it got down to 50. Was 68 inside when I got up. Right now about 70 outside and overcast with a light breeze. Tonite and tomorrow nite it is suppose to get in upper 40s.

ABOrman, Midwinter, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  9. Firebroad

Firebroad

Love it. Supposed to be nice tonight, it is already in the lower 70's, but--you guessed it--raining and muggy.
    Sometimes I think the MidAtlantic is the only place that has humidity in the winter, even when it's snowy.

Midwinter, Chaz, bear 1998 and 4 others like this.
  10. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Chaz loves it but below 72/73 I get cold. To be honest, after he went to work did contemplate kicking on the furnace but didn't. Lol

bear 1998, Midwinter, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  11. clay shooter

clay shooter

dont have over here in our house and that goes for most houses here.but our summers are getting hotter, but the cost would be a lot to have it put in.

Midwinter, Chaz, bear 1998 and 7 others like this.
  12. papadave

papadave

Was 44 this AM when I got up, so I closed the windows. Opened back up late morning.
    Forecast to do it again tonight. Might be a bit more preemptive and close some of the windows before bed.
    Living room was down to 60. If this was winter, that wouldn't happen.......weird how that temp feels colder in the winter.
    We're definitely on the downhill slide to winter. Saw a bunch more trees today that are turning.
    I'll wait a bit longer, but the AC will be put away very soon, I'm sure.

Midwinter, Chaz, bear 1998 and 9 others like this.
  13. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

When I got up around 6 am it was 49 out and 68 in. Hasn't gotten higher than 64 today.

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Mother Nature's air conditioning.

bear 1998, Chvymn99, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  15. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Ya it is. All good for Chaz but not so much for me. I like the warmth. Chaz and I are complete opposite when it comes to that.lol

16. BCB

BCB

I have a large wall unit in the living room (no central air) and I run it at 73* to keep the house around 78-80*. Most importantly it's to get rid of the humidity.

17. billb3

billb3

78ºF when A/C is needed.
    but setting a higher temp at night here would be rather stupid and counter productive , more so if it was split system A/C with a heat mode as a setting of 82ºF for at night would likely result in the heat mode being activated.
    Usually at night is not peak power time so why set it higher than daytime ? This doesn't make a lot of sense, especially considering most people sleep better with cooler temps, not warmer ones. If this is recreation time and not sleep time then maybe warmer would be convenient.

This must be our wonderful Federal Government trying to prove how useful they are.
    Again.
    This is also why the propaganda is turned off at our house in as many ways as is possible.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  18. Blstr88

Blstr88

I prefer to keep it at 66 but my wife wants it around 74, so we compromise and keep it at 74.

Keeping the humidity down does more for me than the actual colder temp anyway...at least that's what I tell myself.

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:handshake:
    :rofl: :lol:

20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT