In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I need a truck

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Jon_E, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam

I daily drive my truck 8 miles to work. The 7.3 holds 8 gallons of coolant, 4 gallons of oil, and barely moves the needle on the temp gauge in the winter. No heated seats so it’s a cold ride. It’s been very dependable but noisy, Smokey, and if it breaks it would be expensive. Still 15 city, 20 freeway, 12 towing.

We drive the wife’s Nissan Rogue on long trips. 35 mpg!

Liking the 6.2 for smooth, quiet, brute power and since they’ve been using this engine for a long time it has a decent record. Same old f250/350.

Horkn likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My work truck heater rocks...blowing warm air within 60 seconds of coming out of a 50* garage.

Chvymn99, Horkn and Highbeam like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

That 6.2 has actually been used for a number of years as a marine ski/ wakeboat engine. It's super stout, makes a ton of tq down low and amazingly is more fuel efficient than comparable engines that are GM based.

The marinized even makes them supercharged, up to 575 hp. Instant tq on even the 400 hp base raptor engine. The Ford 6.2 is an iron block, rather than the aluminum block of the GM based ls marinized engines. In a boat is where you want the iron block, for strength in case the winterization wasn't done right. That Ford 6.2 was the first Ford engine to grace a towboat since 2002 when the industry ran out of. 351w 5.8 blocks. Ford dominated the towboat industry for 3 decades until 2002, then it fell off the face of the planet. They attempted to marinize the 5.4, even a supercharged lightning version, but it was way easier to marinize the GM v8s that they already had all the tooling and parts for.

Bottom line is, with the Ford 6.2 being used in ski boats, there will be support for these engines for a long time.

brenndatomu, Highbeam and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. Jon_E

Jon_E

Think it was $175. Could have been $200. Don't recall. Was worth it either way.

5. Jon_E

Jon_E

I probably should clarify. I don't have any stored music on my phone - not a single song. I use exclusively Pandora. For some reason, neither the AUX or USB jacks, nor Bluetooth, allow me to stream Pandora through the SYNC radio. I haven't found any information in the manual or online as to how this might be possible, but I have drawn a blank. The phone WILL talk to the radio for handsfree communication, such as a phone call, but it is slow, awkward and a terrible interface. I am leaning toward replacing the entire head unit with an aftermarket one, Crutchfield has some slick systems that drop right in. For the occasional long drive it would be nice to listen to what I want, instead of hoping to pick up a decent radio station.

brenndatomu likes this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

You should be able to play Pandora. I don't use Pandora, but rather Napster. No issues. Find the "source" button on the music screen. Find your phone, press play.

Sync is one of the better GUI interfaces out there.