In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New cooking toy...

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Pricey106, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Pricey106

Pricey106

20190718_194811.jpg Just got this. The wife wasn't too happy, but I had to. The 14 year old gasser I had was beyond repair. The new one is a Smoke Hollow DG1100s from Sam's club for 369.00. It is a 4 in 1. From left to right is a sear burner at 30k BTU, 4 burner gasser, charcoal/ smoker, and firebox. Seems to be built pretty good for the price. Thinking I am going to fire up the smoker side this weekend.

Marvin, Loon, brenndatomu and 19 others like this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz

Nice looking unit
    :cool:

Let us know how it performs.
    :thumbs:

3. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Where's da smoke?

brenndatomu, Hellcat, gbreda and 5 others like this.
  4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Cook her up something good, she will forgive you...

5. BHags

BHags

That Sir, is not a toy!

6. lukem

lukem

She'll get over it when you pull a couple nice steaks off that thing.

7. Pricey106

Pricey106

I give it a 7 out of 10. The gas side is not hot enough for me. I bought an adjustable regulator, but I can't turn it up farther than the stock one goes. The sear burner will go higher for about 5 minutes, then it starts sputtering. The regular burners won't hold a flame with higher pressure. I played with the air inlets on those to no avail, and the sear burner has no adjustable air inlet.

8. gbreda

gbreda

Just bite the bullet and get a ceramic komado-it will do everything you are looking for and last forever.
    You may have to cook a few extra meals for your wife before telling her the price though :heidi:

brenndatomu, fuelrod, basod and 5 others like this.
  9. Hoytman

Hoytman

Tell me that when You light too big a fire too quick in it in the winter time and try to heat it up too fast.

I want to see that ceramic after several winters and many winter uses. It can be done if you use some common sense and give it time to warm slowly, otherwise my feelings is it won’t last. Of course, a guy could just use an ordinary Weber kettle for wintertime grilling. I wouldn’t chance the high dollar ceramic.

10. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

do you own one or have wintertime experience with one???

gbreda, brenndatomu, Hoytman and 2 others like this.
  11. SkidderDone

SkidderDone

Just cook her an aged steak. Throw some candlelight in the mix and you'll probably come out 40 bucks ahead. :rofl: :lol:

12. Hoytman

Hoytman

No I do not own one...egg or kamado...but I offered the suggestion from first hand knowledge of seeing a friends big green egg and his skinny empty wallet and the dumbfounded look on his face when he asked me what I thought happened to his new grill. I just shook my head.

They say ya’ can’t fix stupid...and when it’s well below freezing and you add charcoal to a stone then add half a bottle plus of lighter fluid and you have to shut the lid real quick or burn the soffit off of your house...ya’ can’t fix stupid...I say you can’t even patch it.

I never said I wouldn’t own one...rather eluded to having and using common sense during wintertime use...and I already have a steel kettle and several other types. Between me and my dad we have 9 grills I believe, priced from $80 to over a thousand each. For us...and it’s a personal for everyone... we by far prefer the 3 charbroil gas/charcoal barrel grills we own which are fairly cheap. That doesn’t even take into account the pig roasters in the family or the roasters we’ve built. For some reason, we both feel these impart flavor our other grills do not.

Do you like yours? I’ve considered buying one...just haven’t pulled the plug on one. They sure have some nice accessories and are quite versatile it seems.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  13. Hoytman

Hoytman

I had looked at these too at Sam’s and almost bought one. A friend loves his, but I was holding out for possibly getting a ceramic since I like charcoal...charbroil gas barrel is close...and that it put off for smokehouse I’ve got planned as I mentioned in another thread. I’m going to build it to look like an outhouse hanging over the creek bank to mess with the neighbors and local church camp traffic.