In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Thought for the day...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by T.Jeff Veal, Oct 31, 2018.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

The common good
    By Jason Nelson

A blessing from my early years in public school is remembering the preamble to the Constitution: “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

This introduction was added after the framers outlined the most promising form of government in human history. The Constitution gets debated, interpreted by the courts, and amended by Congress. But the preamble hasn’t been touched. It stands to declare that the sacred purpose of American government is the common good.

A blessing from my later years in Christian school is remembering these words of God: “Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Philippians 2:4 ESV). The ultimate expression of faith in Jesus is concern for others that supersedes concern for ourselves. It is such a privilege to live in a nation where practicing our citizenship lines up so nicely with practicing our faith.

Agreeing on the common good is challenging in a big, diverse nation like America. We are in the process of deciding what the common good should be. Our democracy leans different directions after the votes are counted. But it hasn’t fallen. It won’t fall as long as one thing we have in common is concern for each other.

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Nature uses as little as possible of anything.

A student was asked on a test to list the 10 Commandments in any order. His answer was 3, 6, 1, 8, 4, 9, 5, 2, 10 and 7.

A little boy was at the beach with his family when he found a dead sea gull lying by the water’s edge. He asked his mom what happened to it. She said that it had died and gone to Heaven. The little boy thought for a moment and then said, “And God threw him back down?”

After the church service, a little boy told the preacher, “When I grow up, I’m going to give you some money.” The preacher said, “Well, thank you, but why?” The little boy told him, “Because my daddy says you are one of the poorest preachers we’ve ever had.”

Few people know how to walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much. Emerson

“If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.
    Muhammad Ali

Never invest your money in anything that eats, sleeps or needs repairing

Boogeyman, Marvin and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I hate my workplace
    By Pastor Mark Jeske

I love my job. Honestly. I have never second-guessed my life’s work. But I know many people who are miserable in their jobs, not so much because of the work they do but because of the people they have to do it with. Is your workplace dysfunctional? Do you have an overcritical boss? spiteful coworkers? Does this sound like what you head into each day: “My adversaries pursue me all day long; in their pride many are attacking me” (Psalm 56:2).

Obviously if you could have left easily, you would have by now. So you need the job and have no good options at present. What to do? You can pray for God’s strength and mercy to help you be like Jesus, willing to bear abuse from other people without retaliation. You can choose not to bring that anger and stress home and take it out on your family. You can choose to confuse the mean people in your workplace and treat them with forgiveness, grace, and patience. You can do good work, and then quietly assure yourself that the problem is not you.

You can give your problems and griefs to God and ask for relief. You can find happy places to recharge, surrounding yourself with positive people and drawing affirmation and strength from them. You can do things for other people so that your world won’t close in around you and your problems.

When all else fails, take a deep breath, look up to heaven and pray, “Come soon, Lord Jesus.”

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 16, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.
    2 Thessalonians 3:3

5. Backwoods Savage

America is a land of untold wealth; most of it is untold around April 15.

Nobody ever drowned in his own sweat.

People who buy what they do not need may soon need what they cannot afford.

Count your own blessings, let your neighbor count his own.

Some people are about as broke as the Ten Commandments.

Some people really like hard work, especially when they are the one’s paying for it.

It is a proven fact that money is better than poverty.

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Good ones right here.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the ark but professionals built the Titanic.

For sure there is always death and taxes; however, death doesn’t get worse every year.

I plan on living forever; so far, so good.

When you are young, you want to be the master of your fate and the captain of your soul. When you get older, you’ll settle for being the master of your weight and the captain of your bowling team.

A woman always has the last word in an argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Boogeyman, T.Jeff Veal and Marvin like this.
  8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 18, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
    Proverbs 17:22 NIV

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Livin’ small
    By Pastor Mark Jeske

What kind of life do you expect as a child of God? Do you feel you should be riding in a Porsche? Have granite countertops? Have a country club membership? Own a summer cottage? Vacation in Paris?

You may have been given some of these treats by your exceedingly generous Father, or you may never experience them. Or perhaps they still lie in your future. But even if your whole life will be Formica and Chevys, when you’re connected to Christ, life is good. It is no shame to live small. The life lessons you learn in your times of hardship and poverty teach you the true value of things, and may also teach you the true value of people.

Jesus and his disciples lived small. So did John the Baptist and Elijah. And so did David, years before he had his own palace: “David left Gath and escaped to the cave of Adullam” (1 Samuel 22:1). David’s years in the wilderness of Judea in some ways were the best years of his life. He was totally dependent on the Lord’s protection. He had little and was running for his life. He was not distracted by luxuries or the burdens of paying for them, protecting them, and caring for them.

I will tell you from my own experience that my poorest days economically were also the times in my life when I read Scripture most avidly, prayed most intensely, and was most aware of my need for God

10. JoeinO

JoeinO

Amen brother

Backwoods Savage and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  11. JoeinO

JoeinO

Before the heart of the human problem
    is the problem of the human heart."
    Allister Begg

12. Backwoods Savage

Children: A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and romances, best friends and favorite foods. She knows about secret fears and hopes and dreams. A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

A fool and his money are soon partying.

When you are arguing with a fool, make sure he isn’t doing the same thing.

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. Mark Twain

Blessed is the man who is too busy to worry during the day and too sleepy to worry at night.

One good thing about being young is that you are not expected to know that you cannot possibly do the things you are doing.

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 19, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever.
    Daniel 12:3 NIV

14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

One of them has to be right
    By Jason Nelson

As an American Christian, I unequivocally defend the right of people to practice the religion of their choosing. I am depending on non-Christian Americans to defend my constitutional right to do the same. I am comfortable with that ambiguity. I get very concerned about any political discussions that even hint at favoring one religion over another. That threatens the very religious liberty I cherish. Majorities can change, and there must always be due respect for the minority in this great land.

But religious liberty doesn’t mean all religions are right because people have a right to practice them. Religions other than Christianity have some admirable tenets. And every human being deserves respect because they are just that. But accepting a religion as valid as long as it works for the individual defies the laws of the universe and the claim of exclusivity that all world religions make. One of them has to be right. No matter how sincerely a person may believe otherwise, jumping off a cliff always ends the same. People can be sincerely wrong.

I believe Christianity is right because of God’s fearless invitation to put it to the test. “Do not quench the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil” (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22). With life’s great questions in mind, test the Bible’s teachings and God’s plan of salvation against all others. Nothing else compares.

15. Backwoods Savage

If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies and mosquitoes.

Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find it out.

Any child can tell you that the sole purpose of a middle name is so he can tell when he’s in really deep trouble.

It’s a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water.

Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to.

If you take too long in deciding what to do with your life, you’ll find you’ve done it.

The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 20, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
    Matthew 6:7-8 NIV

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 17, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
    Hebrews 13:8 NIV

18. Backwoods Savage

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

He who marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. Albert Einstein

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.

The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.

Nobody can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it.

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

August 21, 2019
    Verse of the Day
    The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
    John 10:10 NIV

20. Backwoods Savage

SIGN LANGUAGE:

In a Laundromat: Automatic washing machines. Please remove all your clothes when the light goes out.
    In a London Department store: Bargain basement Upstairs
    In an office: Would the person who took the stepladder yesterday please bring it back or further steps will be taken.
    In another office: After the coffee break, staff should empty the coffeepot and stand upside down on the draining board.
    Outside a second hand shop: We exchange anything - bicycles, washing machines, etc. Why not bring your wife along and get a wonderful bargain?
    In a health food shop window: Closed due to illness.
    Notice in a field: The farmer allows walkers to cross the field for free, but the bull charges.
    On a repair shop door: We can repair anything. (Please knock hard on the door, the bell doesn’t work.

You think you are stressed! During WWII, Japanese kamikaze pilots underwent rigorous training that prepared them for their suicide missions. If they refused to stay in the corps, they were shot as traitors. Some choice!

A penny saved must be a congressional oversight.

Boogeyman, Marvin and T.Jeff Veal like this.