In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Logs delivered today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Chris F, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Chris F

Chris F

I usually cut three of four and then split it up and stack it before cutting again. It gives the saw and the splitter a break and keeps the area clean. I get a break too from doing one thing for too long.

2. Chris F

Chris F

Worked great once I got it going. It flooded for some reason before it even gave a kick. Dried out the plug, tried again and still flooded. Dried the plug again and gave it no choke at all and it started and ran good after smoking for a bit. It sounds different from the 2165 even though it's only six cc's bigger.

amateur cutter, M2theB, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  3. Skier76

Skier76

Great haul! I just cut and split some log length a neighbor has given me access too. I'm always amazed with how much more wood you seem to get once it's all cut up and split. Doesn't look like as much when you have full cut rounds stacked...vs splits.

amateur cutter, Horkn, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  4. Chris F

Chris F

These are eight feet long.

5. Chris F

Chris F

Got two and a half rows in out of six. Getting there.

picture.jpg

6. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Very nice
    Let the fun begin :yes:

amateur cutter, M2theB, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  7. billb3

billb3

Nice, so about $760 US, or $110 a cord. That was the price here a while back when I was considering it.

8. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

Farmer across the street brings me small loads for $40. Woodshed and Logs.jpg

9. clay shooter

clay shooter

nice lot of wood,have fun cutting.

amateur cutter, M2theB, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  10. Hoytman

Hoytman

Nice lot of wood you have there. Stacked real nice. Looking at it brought back memories of years of cutting, hauling, dumping, splitting, and hauling to customers. That seems like all I did as a kid, was help my dad cut and deliver firewood. For us, it kept us afloat when times were tight.

I can remember having the old 4x4 International buried to the frame many times and had to be towed out of the woods with a skidder. We got into some terribly wet places, but we harvested massively big timber too compared to most of it today...and even back then it was small stuff compared to what the old timers used to cut by hand.

That truck was a four speed with a granny gear...304 engine. Not much horsepower...not many rpm's in that engine, but with that granny gear, if she could get traction...didn't matter how big the load was either...she'd grunt and come on up and over the hill. Seems I recall breaking a few locking hubs...but shoot...that truck was always under a strain because we really abused it. Man I loved that truck...even though you could see through the floor board, fenders waving as we drove by, and you could watch the gas needle go down while you was running 60 down the highway. The gas tank was behind the seat...some models of that truck had another fill cap just between the driver door and the front wheel. One of my neighbors has truck like that now...with the dual tank option. Back then we had leaded gasoline we called "regular"...now that term depicts a number grade of gasoline. Never was a chronic sniffer...lol...but that regular gasoline had it's own unique smell.

Dad had built a set of oak racks for the bed rails pert near even with the top of the cab the entire length of the bed, and he beefed up the springs as well. More often than not we'd have wood stacked 2 feet higher than the cab and sometimes pulling a trailer of wood and/or a splitter that dad had built. He built 8 splitters in total with big 6 inch cylinders...special hydraulics for the time period he'd gotten at work...special pumps and all that which wasn't common to just buy off of the shelf at the time. The way he had things configured there were two forward speeds and two reverse for those cylinders if I recall correctly. Didn't take long for the word to get out on those splitters he built and people started wanting them.

For me it's sort of odd seeing all of a stack of wood being small and such uniform pieces. Of course, some of that is accounted for with the type of wood harvested. For us years ago, I don't ever recall seeing wood split that far down...that small. Most were bigger chunks 1/3 or 1/4 split pieces...or 8"-10" triangular pieces. Much of what we cut thought had to split numerous times even at those sizes because much of the trees and even tree tops were big stuff. Three foot logs or bigger, 24" oak limb tree tops. We cut a lot of oak. Then again, we had lots of "honey holes" and a logger for a neighbor. Of course, actually back then...40+ years ago...a lot of what we delivered were pieces of various sizes which was needed for small quick fires, start-ups, and mostly all day or "all nighter" pieces. So to me, I'm not really use to seeing a wood pile like that. Most stoves were huge...or most of our customers had huge stoves, and many had fire places also...so that's why I'm not use to seeing pieces that small.

I had some pieces...actually an entire load delivered like that last year. Good thing too...most of it was too wet to burn...counter to what I was told before delivery...but with my experience I knew the wood was wet as I heard the pieces hit the ground...with a thud...rather than that hollow sound of good seasoned wood. We never would sell it like that. We rarely cut and sold the same year. Of course, our supply was plentiful and we could afford to cut and split enough for it to season a year or two before we sold it.

Still...it's nice seeing a stack like that. Brings back a lot of good memories. Wish I could get some of those back and share them with my son...but time marches on...times change too.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Looks like there are a lot of trees in that area that need to come down soon.

12. Chris F

Chris F

Got the last two loads into the basement this morning.

picture 004.jpg

This is all that's left in the shed.

picture 006.jpg

So time to get going on the logs. Lazy dog keeping an eye on me.

picture 008.jpg

This the result when I packed it in for the day.

picture 010.jpg

I got a couple of hints from earlier in the thread that what I thought was maple is actually beech and from looking around some more I think I've been wrong all along.
    Is this beech? The growth rings are super tight and I'd say just by looking at them that this is a hundred years old.

picture 009.jpg

13. Chaz

Chaz

Certainly looks like beech.
    :thumbs::thumbs:

Great looking pup as well.
    :yes:

14. M2theB

M2theB

Split’m now

15. jrider

jrider

I would say it looks like beech. They should also be heavier than maple so that can help you figure it out as well.

16. Chris F

Chris F

They are heavier. I thought it was a sugar or silver maple of my youth because of the smooth grey bark.
    It sure is nice to have a mixed load instead of just all red oak. A change will do you good. Pretty clean too, I haven't had to take the hose to any of them yet but there are some bad ones buried in the pile that I won't put my saw into until all the mud is washed off.

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Yup, thats beech. Great btu's, seasons fast, about as good as sugar maple btu wise.

18. Chris F

Chris F

Yeah, I looked it up on the btu chart.
    I knew a whole lot that just wasn't so.
    Humbling.

19. Thor

Thor

Nice work! Malamute?

20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

For sure that is beech.