In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anti-drying wood pile

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by mike bayerl, Aug 1, 2019.

1. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

20190801_200437.jpg 20190801_201746.jpg I've been so behind on everything for the last year that I accidentally let the weeds try to strangle my firewood stacks. I spent some sweaty, quality time trying to restore some sunlight and wind flow to the stacks. UGH!!!!

Thor, Stlshrk, T.Jeff Veal and 11 others like this.
  2. jrider

jrider

Definitely not ideal drying conditions

3. moresnow

moresnow

I had some of that also this spring. Wally Mart has a really decent ground clear type spray (spray carefully!). There own brand. Blue label on a white jug with a built in sprayer on a included hose. Working well for my place. Really nuked my weeds.

4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

That stuff costs literally like 100x more than it should.

I buy glyphosate in 2.5 gallon jugs at agrisupply for $45 and you can literally make over a hundred gallons of diluted spray, depending on concentration. It doesn't have the imazapyr in it for soil activity but at the price of glyphosate and how easy it is just to spray 2x a season just use it. Even going to TSC and paying their over priced cost on a gallon of glyphosate you come out cheaper than that finished spray at Walmart for like $20-30 a gallon! And usually it's not even very strong.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. moresnow

moresnow

It's dirt cheap compared to the regular farm fleet variety. Forgot to include that info. Otherwise I'd have not tried it:whistle:

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Looks better with the jungle gone. Now we know where the term growing like a weed comes from. Wood looks okay though. Reset the tarps and should be fine. How long has it been there mike bayerl ?

7. papadave

papadave

8. Chaz

Chaz

Theme song from Monk.
    :thumbs:
    :rofl: :lol:

9. farmer steve

farmer steve

This^^^^^^^^^

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

But then, perhaps it would be better to make a good bed for stacking wood on; one that does not need constant spraying. Remember that whenever you use spray like that, it can have some bad consequences. Yes, I sometimes use spray but very reluctantly and very little.

11. In the Pines

In the Pines

flamethrower, cheaper than chemicals.
    Everyone probably has a 20lb LP tank sitting around, and a harbor freight close by

12. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

13. JoeinO

JoeinO

Flame thrower just sounds fun even if you got no weeds. I think a lot of us can relate to getting behind mike bayerl. Looks like you got some good air now,
    should be good to go. Not sure if anyone has tried it but my neighbor who cringed when she seen me using weed killer. Suggested white vinegar

14. billb3

billb3

A flame weeder can be the most efficacious tool for weeds when they are still at the cotyledon and maybe first set of true leaves stage but beyond that ( and driveway crack weeds if for no other reason because it is fun ) tall weeds are best mowed down some way and then use a flame weeder when the regenerative process begins again. I'm not so sure I'd be using enough flame to incinerate full grown flora between and around well stacked ignitable fuel supplies.

I have a husqvarna weed whacker that takes fairly heavy string but I'm considering a tool that takes a power scythe/sickle attachment to power my way thru raspberry brambles, ragweed and the poison ivy that I always see after I've been splattered.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 9.10.02 AM.png

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  15. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

We raise bees and sheep so chemical weed control is a no-no for us, hence the flame. Obviously, we should have had the sheep keeping the woodpile clean, but alas that area has not been fenced for browsing yet. Live and learn.