In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Gardening

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by mattjm1017, Jan 18, 2014.

1. farmer steve

farmer steve

Best thing to do IF you know rain is coming is give you maters a drink before the rain. Just enough to make them feel satisfied. They won't try and suck up to much when it rains. Same thing works for cabbage to keep it from splitting. The red robins look tasty.:dex:

Midwinter, bear 1998, Loon and 5 others like this.
  2. billb3

billb3

I was hoping to have this spot weeded, and some sod and rock removal expansion finished and planted today with some leftover bedding flowers but with the work progress slow down from the heat and the neighbors stopping to chit chat, planting just didn't happen.
    IMG_1359.JPG
    There isn't much good "soil" here as it is mostly raw gravel. I want to eventually fill it with (some compost and) the wild daylilies that grow around here and maybe some blue flags as they tend to choke out the weeds that want to grow in this crappy soil. The crappy soil doesn't support "lawn". Hoping for a flower bed that maintains itself.

Woodwidow, Midwinter, Loon and 4 others like this.
  3. Loon

Loon

Nothing like some of the gardens here on the board but ours are doing pretty well for being put in late and being very dry for quite awhile.:whistle: The backyard lawn is pretty crispy :coldone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

That looks like a good garden and some nice healthy plants. Where are you located Loon?

I love the garden chairs. We do the same thing. Nothing like watching the pollinators, birds and plants growing!

5. Loon

Loon

Just over the border by Kingston Ont hov. Real wet spring but we haven't seen rain in weeks so being on a well we watch how we water and how long.
    Plus actually sit with a pint and watch the water.:D Have 4 rain barrels on the go which helps.:coldone:

6. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

I see Kindston Ont. on the map...great area. When we lived in Hovland MN we did some of our shopping and took the kids out to the movies and dinner in Thunder Bay. I trained and worked for awhile at Lake Head Psychiatric Hospital. Met a lot of good folks in Ontario, and used to do a lot of exploring and fishing along the border lakes and rivers by snowmobile or canoe with my remote lakes border crossing permit in hand.

We had a nice garden in Hovland, but proximity to Lake Superior limited our warmth to extent I could not grow tomatoes or sweet corn.

7. Loon

Loon

Couple of us were Bear hunting up by Thunder Bay years ago and definitely nice country.:salute:

8. Loon

Loon

First picking of the season.:salute: We each get a Gherkin with supper.:D :coldone:

[​IMG]

9. billb3

billb3

Those look nice. I didn't grow any gherkins this year as I had far too many last year and still have lots of pickles in the canning pantry.

10. farmer steve

farmer steve

I had tons of people buy those just to snack on over the years with their favorite dip or salad dressing or just plain. That size commands a big price at Produce Auction.

11. farmer steve

farmer steve

Just picked these about an hour ago. These are from the plants we planted on June 9th.
    20190724_163916.jpg

12. Loon

Loon

First time trying them guys and just put 2 in with the cucumbers but some little bugger snapped the stem on one of them weeks ago.:picard::D

13. unclefess

unclefess Guest

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:Loon figured your garden would be .....
    upload_2019-7-25_18-58-35.jpeg upload_2019-7-25_18-58-53.jpeg

14. Loon

Loon

15. billb3

billb3

I probably should have dug up day lilies and planted them now or as soon as they are done blooming instead of the leftover petunias and marigolds but it's what I did done.

IMG_1360.JPG
    Ran out of leaves for mulch so used what lawn clippings I had. They'll be brown in a day or two and then the flowers will be more recognizable. Anything to keep the sun from baking the sand. Might look good in a couple of weeks. I'm about done digging for the year.

16. billb3

billb3

17. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Has anyone ever had a spaghetti squash cross with a watermelon?

Pics tomorrow

18. Midwinter

Midwinter

Long beans? I get them at the Korean market sometimes if they look fresh, they spoil so quickly.

19. billb3

billb3

Kentucky Wonder pole bean. I had a leftover length of concrete reinforcement mesh from making tomato cages so used it to make an arch to grow a few pole beans on. Fairly easy to pick them this way, unless you're short or can't reach over your head. 5x5 or 6x6 mesh is easy to get your hand thru.

I did grow a long asparagus bean a few years ago but no one liked the nutty taste but the dog and I.

20. Loon

Loon

I have access to the mesh bill and want to cross over the big garden for cucumber's next year. Do you do anything special for yours?