In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kubota L245- any thoughts

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by makey98, Jul 17, 2019.

1. makey98

makey98

Saw a guy with a Kubota L245 for sale for $2500 with Woods mower attachment and boom. Probably could get for around $2k. Really clean looking. This is a 25hp Diesel with no loader, 2wd. Any thoughts or experience on this? I have a 8 acre property with a lot of trees, over grown creek and work to do. 3.5 acres is a field in corn I would like to rotary till and turn into 2 acres of pasture for sheep and the rest plant some cut flowers, lavender or some other high value crops. Tractor would be nice to clean up the creek and general stuff. First time buyer here and all the other options I see for comprable price range are larger fords and Massey’s that are rough shape from the 50’s.

Backwoods Savage and Chaz like this.
  2. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

That is an early to mid 80's tractor. Size wise, it is comparable to a new b series. Most people now are looking for a 4wd tractor, but you can still accomplish a lot work with a 2wd tractor. I did not see any comparable tractors listed forsale, all the others had loaders and or were 4wd, or were the high clearance model. $2k now days will buy you a crappy mower that will be wore out in a couple of years. If the tractor has been well taken care of it should last a long time. See how it starts cold. Tell the guy before you go to look at it that you want to start it cold. If the manifold feels warm on it when you get there, maybe started it and let it run a little, because the engine low on compression and needs starting fluid on a cold start. Make sure both brakes work. See how well the hydraulic system will pick up the mower, it should do it with ease. See if the clutch is smooth. If the clutch takes a hold a the top of the pedal, it may need adjusted or replaced. Does it have front weights? It should have some for a counterweight for the mower. How are the tires and wheels? Tilling 2 acres with a tractor this size will take some time, but that will probably be a one time project for you so you probably don't care about getting it done fast.

Stay away from any tractor that is 1950's or older. Really you want something that is 1965ish or newer. The older tractors lack "modern" convinces that are now standard features on todays tractors.

3. Chaz

Chaz

Chvymn99 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. makey98

makey98

2F6E6023-F02C-4960-9727-B851A0ACE5B1.jpeg Thank you!! No weights. Wheels look decent and tires look newer. I will be back tomorrow get a better look. I never see anything remotely close to this in this price range in my random searches so it caught my eye.

5. Chaz

Chaz

Looks to be in great shape.

Price is quite reasonable, given that it's not 1977 anymore.
    :whistle:

6. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

It looks good for its age. The filters look like they were changed not too long ago.

7. tree killer

tree killer

Spent a lot of time on a L235 of the same vintage. They are tough little tractors and will do more than you would think. Only problem I remember is the 3point system was finicky.

8. Flamestead

Flamestead

I used some of this vintage while working on a corporate ground crew. Had a belly mower and we pulled a vacuum trailer. Tough, reliable. My coworker discovered the tires don’t hold up to driving back to the shop on a flat, and the tractor lacks a tree-avoidance guidance system when ogling women. (He also fried someone’s car by using jumper cables badly)

They are of the era that built Kubota’s reputation, at least in this area.

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

For $2,000 I don't think you can do any better. Check the compression on the diesel motor. And make sure the Hydraulics work. See if you can't buy a loader for it!!

10. Will C

Will C

If it will start cold, all gears and the clutch work, and the 3 pt hitch works, frankly you can't go wrong. I've got enough age on me to think 2k is a lot of money-but realistically, it isn't much. I spent $2200 for a bush hog a couple on months ago.

11. Chaz

Chaz

Agreed, before we got a deal on the tractor, figured I wouldn't be owning one anytime soon, so we spent $1800 on a self powered, tow behind trail mower.

If I had known, I would've waited for a 3 pt brush hog and saved some $$.
    :doh:

brenndatomu and Chvymn99 like this.
  12. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

makey98 Did you get a chance to look at it?

brenndatomu, Chaz and Chvymn99 like this.
  13. ckarnes

ckarnes

I have an L345 but in 4wd. Check to make sure the transmission is not noisy n any gear. That was the weak link in those, and almost impossible to find the parts to rebuild. That one looks to be in very good shape, I would imagine it should serve you well for a long time. As others said, make sure it starts easy cold.

brenndatomu, Chaz and Chvymn99 like this.
  14. makey98

makey98

Thanks for info/advice all. Much appreciated! I didn’t get a chance yesterday, couldn’t get off work early enough. Hopefully today.

15. fuelrod

fuelrod

I had a 245 4x4 many moons ago. My first tractor and it was a tough little booger.

brenndatomu and Chaz like this.