In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

MS290 "Farm Boss" or MS 261

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Feb 28, 2019.

1. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

While porting may help most saws (if done right), the price of porting an 1127 series Stihl isn’t the best investment. They benefit from an aggressive muffler mod, carb re-tune, new air filter, and using a sharp chain. As mentioned above, the clamshell design and lack of a base gasket makes it tricky to set squish. Not impossible, though.

An 029 super has the same engine as the ms290 (displacement, stroke, etc.). The forum member is probably impressed with the porting and muffler work since they’re restricted in stock form.

2. huskihl

huskihl

I upgraded him from an 029 to a ported 039 with a Cross pop up piston, ignition and carb work, and a muff mod. With a 20" bar buried in beech, it was exactly twice as fast. With a buried 24" bar, it's 2.5x faster. If he likes his 029, it seems like a more logical investment

3. Birddogtg

Birddogtg

A lot of people are thrilled with a stock 290 farm boss simply because it says Stihl on the side and they have never run a good pro saw so they don’t know any better.I bet your friend would be a lot more thrilled if the saw was a 261 or 361 or 362.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Well sir, I've run a few pro saws in my time and still also ran a 290. The 290 is still a good saw for what it is designed for. I also know the fellow who now owns my old 290 is extremely happy with it.

5. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

(Forwarned, I did not read all the prior posts. Sorry for any repetition). Both saws will cut wood and be reliable if well maintained. In my book, you are doing a pretty decent amount of cutting. The MS261 is a better/lighter saw so if you can afford it, absolutely go for it. The MS261 has the added benefit, that whenever you feel like it, you could always get it ported. I run a ported MS261 and it's probably the "perfect" single firewood saw with a Stihl nameplate. It destroys typical firewood size logs and can easily pull a 24" bar if needed. Fortunately, I have some bigger saws to handle that stuff so I don't have to do that. I usually run 16, 18 or 20".

6. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

If you want to spend money on porting, I have had EXCELLENT results from Scott Kunz, a.k.a. Tree Monkey. Do not bother with porting the clamshell, kind of like polishing a turd. Just sell the 290 and port the 261.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

He runs a ported 362 as well and is very happy with both saws. Lifetime chainsaw user.
    I myself had not been exposed to professional saws prior to my buying a used 460 powerhead 18 months ago. Once i started cutting with the 460 i now understand. Although a 460 vs 290 is not a fair comparison.
    Just got my 261 (havent run it yet) and am coming down with CAD!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  8. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

So 54cc (if regular 029) to 64cc, a port job, increased compression from the popup, hopefully a thorough inspection, new hoses if needed, a much-needed muffler mod, timing work... it’s a totally different saw, then. Good stuff!

huskihl, brenndatomu and Rope like this.
  9. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

I definitely won’t bash Stihl’s 1127 series. They do the job they were intended for as mentioned above. I also don’t want to clutter this thread, but I’d like to speak about rebuilding 1127s vs. Stihl/Husky Pro models.
    1127= 029, 029S, ms290, ms310, 039, ms390

I’ve rebuilt quite a few and run them on occasion. A few things to consider-
    Clamshell design isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I like to get at the cylinder/piston quickly, though.
    The plastic case area- melt through the pto side and it’s a new case. Mag cases don’t melt (but can crack).
    Dirko and other sealants in place of a gasket- I have an unpopular opinion on that, especially rebuilds by shadetree mechanics.
    The handle/tank/intake - not as easy to replace lines.
    Plastic screw holes for coil, recoil, etc. Mag holes strip, too... but timeserts are an easy and permanent fix.
    Bearings are a nice 6203 non-proprietary...I don’t mind ‘em.
    Mufflers- choked up and have cheap bolts extended to washers/nuts. These rust and can break off when you’re removing the muffler.

I’ll let AS guys bash their suggested rpms, weight, perceived bulky frame, etc. I don’t mind any of that since a good running one will start and cut wood for me all day long.

10. Birddogtg

Birddogtg

The only good thing about a 290 was the $370 price but you could buy a Dolmar 5100 for $385 that weighed way less and cut 2 times faster and way less vibs
    Smart man

farmer steve likes this.
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats basically what i want them to do whether ported/modded or not. Many thanks for your input BuckthornBonnie

farmer steve and BuckthornBonnie like this.