In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buckin Billy Ray on the new Ax Men!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by clemsonfor, Jul 17, 2019.

1. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I am sure someone has mentioned this already but last night I just finished the first episode of the New Ax Men. Buckin Billy Ray is on this season. I got turned on to him from someone on OPE in a discussion of ported says, maybe a dolmar?

In it you see him go into his shed. He has quite a collection of vintage saws!
    I have only seen a few of his videos so far and he is quite entertaining and great in front of the camera.

This season looks to be better than it was in years! Toward the last several seasons of it's run it got so fake and dramatized. I am looking forward to this season with more diversified crews. At least one traditional crew it looks like cutting hardwood.

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Not being a tv watcher I've never seen this. Is it available on local channels or only via cable?

3. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I haven't watched Axe Men in years, saw the first episode a few days back and was shocked to see Billy Ray too.

4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

It has been off the air for like two years. They just revamped it . "The Ax is Back" second episode is this week. All new AxMen. Looks more like the original seasons were when it first started before all the fake BS came around.

Y'all that watch this know that Gave Rygard died a few years ago in a truck accident. Well they mention it on the show if you saw it.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yes. On history channel. It started I think back 11 years ago. Haven't been on air the last few years. Maybe one season off?

It originally was good then was over dramatized. It was cool cause east coast guys like me could see high lead logging of out west , all the equipment and the huge trees they still have. The later years in quest to retain viewers or gain more became a male soap opera as I described it. Fake fights , yelling, screaming, destroying equipment, over dramatization of everything.

It's a decent show to watch. I'm sure you can find back seasons everywhere from YouTube to Netflix and even history.go. many may charge but I bet some may be free.

I love tv and love the reality shows aimed at the male demographic like this.

6. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I'm glad to see them cutting timber again. They had not showed that in several seasons, it was all logging.

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I quit watching a long time ago, but the addition of Billy Ray has made me start again. I dvr so I don't have to sit through the stuff that made me quit in the first place. I love the footage of his saw shed! What a cool place.

8. B.Brown

B.Brown

I think when Gabe Rygaard was killed in a car wreck, it took a lot out of the original axe men shows. He reminded me of some of the guy's i know around here that have been working in the woods since they were in high school. Now, they are grown men, many of them with grand kids. Logging has changed in many ways, but, the danger never leaves.

Woodsnwoods, thistle and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  9. thistle

thistle

I've watched every ep so far this new season.Like others I agree the original series started off good but by Season 3 in 2010 or so quickly turned to crap IMO what with all the fake dramatized arguing & other ridiculous stuff.Last 3 seasons I didn't even watch.Hopefully this new revamp will continue more like the first version.But time will tell.Buckin' Billy Ray seems like a pretty cool down to earth guy,I've seen a few of his YT vids over the past couple years,is definitely a very skilled faller/arborist,loves his old Mac's,has a few others like Homies & Poulans too.

Personally I don't think he's the type of guy to put up with too much fake BS added in,not even for that fat paycheck History is no doubt providing.

I know lots of the newer younger novice collectors on the FB vintage chainsaw collector's forums like to blame Billy Ray for the rising prices of certain older Mac's.Like the once very popular & still abundant 10-10 series mid sized saws from the early 70's to mid 80's & even more so for the legendary Super Pro 125/125C. But really you cant say its just one person,none of these saws are produced anymore & in some cases certain spare parts are hard to find & not cheap when you do.

Its like with any commodity or collectible item - supply & demand also plays a big part,you have something that's much sought after,yet supply is not in great numbers & decreasing all the time,naturally the price tends to increase as time goes on.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

The whole Rygard drama bs was/is like watching OCC guys fighting while building bikes. I don’t wanna watch that crap. I like seeing people that are good at what they do and are successful. Can’t recall his name but the older guy falling trees is cool too. Seems passionate about it. I like that.

Woodsnwoods and MikeInMa like this.
  11. tree killer

tree killer

Much better now than when the father/son underwater morons got involved in the show. Browning was another good company on the show early on but didn't last. There was a heli-logging company that was good and a cpuple small companies over the years were ok. Than there was the guys cutting bettle kill pine, another set of azz hats. Seems to be good this year, Rygard is still the same old drama i could care less about.

12. Will C

Will C

Yes the new shows look promising. The first couple of years were enjoyable, and the. It got ridiculous with some of the idiots that joined the show. Glad to see Duane Detleff(sp) back on-he reminds of the old timers my dad had working for him in the 1960s and early 70s.

thistle, Woodsnwoods and clemsonfor like this.
  13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The guy Dwayne Deflefs that retired and he had him come back. He can cut sure but all the cigarettes and life causmght up with him he is just 60 but sounds like an 80 year old.