In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cheap chainsaw leaks oil!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Yawner, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

This is maddening... el cheapo Homelite 3816c saw I got on a trade with other stuff had only been used on one job to remove a tree, so, has very little time on it. Leaks bar oil like mad. Anyone know a fix for this or is just a disadvantage a cheap saw has? I would like to keep it for doing dirty work, like today, needed to reduce size of small stumps and some elevated roots so my mower doesn't get trashed if I don't see them.

Casper, M2theB, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Is it leaking when it is not running or is it oiling too much when cutting... this guy has a 2054. Not sure if it is similar in design to your 3816..

M2theB, Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  3. Yawner

Yawner

Leaking from bottom when not running.

M2theB, Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  4. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Maybe pressure test the system to see where the leak is coming from as he did in the video.

Casper, M2theB, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nixon

Nixon

Not familiar with your saw ,so this maybe moot . But some saws have the bar oil vent located under the bar plate on the case side of the saw . It’s round ,about 5/16” in diameter ,with what appears to be a hole dead center of it . That hole has a small steel ball held up by a spring . Tank vacuum allows the ball to unseat ,and vent the tank a it draws down . If a bit of dirt gets in there ,it’ll hold the valve open allowing the tank to gravity feed . A little shot of shop air will generally get it working properly . Also some saws benefit having the oil cap loosened ,the re-secured when you are done with them to alleviate tank pressure .