In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Moparguy

Moparguy

2. Gasifier

Gasifier

Hi gang.

My good neighbor, right next door to me, just lost her grandson who was not even two years old yet. Her daughter and her husband were unloading the groceries at their house and little Elliot England was in a fenced in play area. Somehow he got out and ran into the road. He was hit by a vehicle going by. The responders tried to save him but he didn’t make it.:(

Thoughts and prayers for The England family and the Timm family (my neighbors) would be greatly appreciated.

There is also a go fund me called Help The Englands if you care to make a donation to help them through a tough time.

Gasifier

3. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

That plain sucks! My thoughts and prayers. I can’t imagine their pain.

4. Midwinter

Midwinter

So sad, so sorry, such a terrible loss.

5. lukem

lukem

Made it through last night. Power was out for about 10 hours....lost part of the barn roof, half of a tree, my grape arbor, and had a river running through my front yard that washed up all sorts of debris. That's all easily fixed.

Yesterday morning we got 180 cornish cross chicks and 20 turkey chicks. During the storm the roof to their pen blew off 3 times, each time I ran out in the storm and added weights to the roof but there's only some much you can do when the wind is blowing 60-70MPH..when I went out after the storm they were all soaked and laying on their backs. They damm near drowned and/or died of cold.

We had no power for heat lamps so we had to move them to the shop (which was about 105*), hand dry them, and put 10 milk jugs full of hot water in a temporary pen. All of them recovered, but we ended up loosing 2 today, which is par for the course when it comes to chicks. I was about to throw up when I thought I was going to loose $500 worth of chicks in less than 12 hours.

Still need to patch up the barn roof and try to raise the grape arbor and set some new posts under it to try to salvage the grape crop.

Went for a drive last night and there was a lot of stuff down. About 1/4 mile away a guy had a crane in to lift what I assume was a very large tree off his house. One house got struck by lightning and caught on fire.

6. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

What an absolutely horrible thing to happen. Prayers sent.

7. Marshel54

Marshel54

Busy day. What are those old time lyrics? "Happy days are here again." That will be me come Monday. Sitting on deck, sipping Mojitos or maybe some brew watching the waves go by.
    Today was spent on the cruise line site attempting check in for us, mom and granddaughter. Also booked an excursion that didn't go as it should have. Finally got it all done after 2 hours, phone calls and much cursing. Darn regulations and websites. This preparing to go away is more stressful than just staying at home.
    Bought shoes for the cruise and tomato cages for the garden. Finished weeding and mulching the pepper row. Put up the tomato cages. Mowed yard.
    Getting close to having everything done to go away.

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Glad to hear you made it through the storm. Sorry to hear about the ordeal with the chicks and losing part of the barn roof. What a worry that was.

9. Gasifier

Gasifier

Sorry for your troubles, but glad you are safe and no tree on your house. Be careful getting things back to normal our friend.

10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Holy chit Gasifier, what a horrible thing to happen! My thoughts are with the family, Not sure how young parents can get over this tragedy. I hope they have a strong faith in the Lord and they can somehow at some point deal with the grief/guilt that they are experiencing!

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

With the weather the way its been, they're all "hot" :whistle: ;) :rofl: :lol:

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Oh man...that is such a tragedy...feel bad for the family, and the person driving the car too...hitting a kid is about enough to make a sane person go crazy

13. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Prayers go out to your neighbors Gasifier ... Thats a terrible circumstance to be in... May they feel God's comforting hands in their time of need...

14. Horkn

Horkn

Well the doctor confirmed that somehow I sprained both ankles last weekend. The right is worse than left. I elevated, and iced both for the last few days to get the swelling down, and too ibuprofen.

I think I did it jumping from the boat to the dock. I got tripped up by a rope and nearly fell face first in the dock. I got my feet under me, but if sprains on my ankles are the worst, that's not bad. I'll take that over a broken nose/ finger/ wrist etc any day. Doc says I needed to up my ibuprofen intake, but I did great otherwise. It's not really painful and it went really limit me much.

I got my boat all cleaned up after the tannins stained the hull over the 5 days it was in the water. Boat hill cleaner ( muratic acid) works well. New trailer guide poles are being delivered tomorrow. That will help backing the trailer up when the boat is not on the trailer.

I stopped and got my wife a dozen roses in my way home from work. No specific day/ reason. Well, other than that she makes every day easier for me, and I wanted to let her know that I appreciate her.

It's Friday tomorrow. Gotta love that.:thumbs:

Gasifier, Chaz, clemsonfor and 12 others like this.
  15. leoht

leoht

That’s great Dennis.
    It is hard getting back on a bike after a long break from cycling, ask me how I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gasifier, Chaz, clemsonfor and 8 others like this.
  16. leoht

leoht

I hope you have a great holiday Marshel54. Oh and the stress of organising the trip will soon be forgotten but the memories and friendship’s you will make will last a lifetime! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gasifier, Chaz, clemsonfor and 13 others like this.
  17. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Years back I sprained my left ankle pretty good, then continued to reinjure it over and over during the summer. Managed to sprain the right one during that summer too. It took at least a year for that ankle to be back to normal, I was told I would have been better off breaking it, and I agree, it wasnt fun.

I hope yours are minor, and heal quickly.

Gasifier, Horkn, Chaz and 11 others like this.
  18. lukem

lukem

Got a little bit of free time today...all the kids' 4H projects are done, garden is caught up, yard is mowed....nothing that *has* to be done since about the first week of March.

I decided my chainsaw has been neglected and lonely so I gave it a good cleaning, pulled the muffler cover and took a peek inside the cylinder. For a saw that is now several years old and cut a LOT of wood, it looks nearly new in there. :yes: Sharpened the chain and adjusted the rakers. Cuts like an angry SOB now.

The old folks up the road had the top come out of a maple tree and take down several oak branches with it....going to start cleaning that up this afternoon. It is on the side of a steep hill, so it won't be a lot of fun.

Playing cards tonight...relaxing this weekend...then hit the road for work for about 6 out of the next 8 weeks. After this project is over I should be home about 85% of the time...

Chvymn99, leoht, Gasifier and 13 others like this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Things got in the way yesterday so I'll try again today.

I hope you are back in decent shape now with that bike; it just begs to be ridden!

Chvymn99, leoht, Gasifier and 9 others like this.
  20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Beautiful day here. Temp still in the 60's!!!!!

Chvymn99, leoht, Gasifier and 11 others like this.