I'm in the town I grew up in and I'm sick of all these new animals in the neighborhood eating up my garden vegetables.We now have rabbits,groundhogs,some neighborhoods have deer,possums,raccoons.I said to Joe the old timer who lives behind me "Joe when I was a kid we never had all these animals in the neighborhood what's going on".He said it's because of the lease law.When you were coming up the dogs could run free.They kept the animals out of the neighborhoods.The dogs would not only keep them out they would catch them and eat em.So those animals would stay out of the area.Now no dogs roam just the critters and the dogs that people have now a rabbit would chase them.Back in the day folks had real dogs Shepards,Sameards,Boxers,etc. No one ever talks about that effect of the lease laws but Joe the Old Timer nailed it.Long live Old Timers.
not to mention braindead massholes who voted to ban trapping in 96 ,and whining yuppies who complain about deer but dont like hunting ,they buy meat ,i guess they kill by proxy ,makes them feel better ,this state
No doubt. Beavers can sure devastate some trees Growing up around here there were less houses and all the old timers had .22 rifles. There was no issue if they shot a woodchuck from their back patio or porch. Now, more house's around. If a plinker is used, someone is gonna call. My dad had a woodchuck eating his garden many years ago. Neighbor shot it and hung it on a rope over our fence. My dad thought he hit the lottery, being rid of that varmint. I really miss those days. Old timers took care of things.
Yes, we took care of things and still do. Also, many of us still like the wild animals. Yes, we have to fence off the gardens to keep deer from eating things but don't mind because we love seeing deer. They come right to the house almost daily and we love it. Woodchucks just give us target practice as do chipmunks.
leash law It's a sin to let cats out of the house by urban/suburban middle class conformity standards these days too This is what happens when you allow ticky tacky tract houses in ticky tacky tract neighborhoods in your town. High density people with high density rules.
Yeah billb3 I've talked with people who live in those little communities and for sure don't think I would fit in there at all. Amazing how they make you do things or not do things...
I'm sure I'd be public enemy # one in one of those homeowner associations, big ol' wanted posters of me in the post office.
ditto NH. I am in suburbia, but we have big lots and I use Aquila Super Colibri. This is a primer only load with a 17grain bullet. They are deadlier and quieter than my Sheridan 5mm air rifle. Plus it helps to have like minded neighbors who all garden and are not strangers to taking care of things with whatever means necessary. I also employ a live trap and snares from time to time. Everything goes in the pressure canner and/or back into the earth in my garden.
thats the way to do it ,of course though it is illegal in mass ,we must keep everything locked up ,very handy during home invasions
im in what has become a snooty town ,a lot has to do with the high school being 2nd highest rated in the state so people move here just for that and only stay a few years and while here try to change everything ,there are no affordable homes for sale anymore ,builders buy the cheap houses ,the ones under 700.000 knock them down build 2 million dollar homes sell them to people who have no intention of living there more than a few years ,just long enough to get there child through high school ,they vote for every tax overrlde leaving the higher taxes for the people who have lived here there entire lives after they move ,my newest so called neighbors have called the zoning dept. on me for , operating a woodmizer in my driveway ,cutting up logs , having a vegetable garden in the front yard ( it is actually in the side yard ) and i had the garage door open and they saw a deer hanging and call the law .they thought i was abusing animals , all they had to do was come and talk to me , i have been in the right every time but needless to say they get no fresh veggies,venison on there driveway plowed ,as i keep saying i hate this state so much it hurts by the way they find pallets ,canoes and trailers ugly as well
Everything you said right down to the Sheridan is the same except I'm not in surburbia and don't have a super Colibri.
Wow, you'd blend right in here with pallets, canoes, trailers, hanging deer, and the garden plus woodmizer. Hell, I'd go so far to say, you could be a local celebrity
I agree. We would like you guys around here too. My yard consists of mostly gardens, apple trees, a spear shack on a trailer on one side of the house, an empty utility trailer in front of the garage in the driveway, a small fishing boat flipped over on the other side of the house, piles of lumber and firewood, a shed surrounded by garden tools, and multiple deer hanging in the garage every fall; often in various stages of being taking apart. There is a seasonal drainage creek in back that I let go to tall grasses and weeds, which not only looks pretty wild, but sure beats trying to mow it all when wet or cut it down with a weed whip. We watch out for each other, share our bounty, and no one bothers our stuff. For suburbia, it feels about as free as when we lived up north and our closest neighbor was a half mile away.