In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone bought a push mower lately?!

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by LinkedXJ, May 4, 2019.

1. B.Brown

B.Brown

Not trying to high jack the thread, but, got to try the new Honda mower out yesterday. WOW! is one word that comes to mind first. I thought i had it raised up enough and started mowing the beauty strip out front. It was kind of bogging down, realized it was a lot lower than i thought it was. One huge bag of grass on that short little strip!! Then, i readjusted the wheels, and it did really do a great job of cutting, and it really looked nice, and uniform. The grass bag is a monster, to say the least, no worry about having a big enough bag for the grass. I'm used to a taller set of wheels in the back, and i felt every little bump and dip in the yard with all 4 wheels being the size. As stated by some one else, it is loud for sure, but, with ear plugs its tolerable. The motor is very powerful and the drive unit works pretty good, going to take some getting used to though. And, yes it was expensive,but, i'm pretty sure its going to last a long time, and i'll be getting plenty of use out of it. Still have to play around with the mulching system a little more to see how that really works. The clippings are really fine, due to the double blade system, and really chops the grass up. And, it seems to really vacuum up a lot of dead grass as well. At this point, with one use, i'll give it a solid 8 out of 10.Oh,like the BIG filler hole for gas.

2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Love our Honda, but I hate the auto drive control...can not seem to adjust it to not do a wheelie each time I take off

Screwloose, bear 1998 and brenndatomu like this.
  3. ironpony

ironpony

the JD i have now you can stop the blade and leave the mower running it is nice to be able to do that and not have to keep "starting" the mower, you can also use the drive and not blow crap all over

4. chris

chris

look underneath ( after cleaning the crud of real well)- that is where they stick the drain plugs nowdays hex wrench needed

bear 1998, Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.
  5. chris

chris

A lot of the mowers use a disc drive system , the bad is the material that is on the vertical disc just isn't up to snuff- it is fairly complicated to replace- read PIA. There is no adjustment that i can find for the contact pressure between the vertical and horz. discs hence after a bit the drive system slips and now you have a heavy push mower. I have an older unit looks like the husky picture- crosses to an Ariens of the same style although it has a different brand name on it which I forget right now.

Screwloose and brenndatomu like this.
  6. billb3

billb3

I bought a Honda Harmony self-propel in 1998/1999. End of the second year the self-propel died.Was going to cost almost as much as new to fix so used it like that for a couple years. Dad died in April 2004 and I was going to have to take care of that lawn as well as my own so I went and bought a Husqvarna riding mower with a Kawasaki motor and that's what I use to this day.

Screwloose, brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.
  7. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

Is that what the self propelled setup is called? Mine is either disengaged or full speed it seems.
    I keep it on the very first bar/ lowest setting and it still feels like it wants to pull me around.

I dont think i have ever tried it above the 3rd bar or whatever.

eatonpcat and Screwloose like this.
  8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Don't use it much, but I have adjusted it up, down and any other way I could think of! Just have not found a good position for my thumbs to make it run smooth.

brenndatomu likes this.