In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How to start chainsaw after it sits up unused

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Yawner, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

I have a Stihl 011av I bought used maybe 3 years ago. I didn't used it much but it ran ok. I think it's probably been either one year or two years since I cranked it. I try to run all my stuff every once in awhile even I am not using it but I might have forgotten this one last year, don't recall. Anyway, it won't crank. I poured out the small amount of old gas and put new mix (I think it was Trufuel 40:1) in and still no go. Other than taking out air filter and spark plug and put back in and try, what else, what do you suggest on this 30-something year old saw?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. Andyshine77

Andyshine77

A complete fuel system rebuild will be in order. At minimum a carb kit, fuel lines, fuel filter/pick up. After that you may have issues with leaking crank seals, possible corrosion issues as well, but start with the fuel system and go from there. Never leave fuel sit in equipment for more than a few weeks, and engines need to be ran regularly for multiple reasons.

3. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Start by removing the spark plug and see if there is gas on it. If there is gas on it, the saw is flooded. Hook the plug back up to the plug wire and lay the plug on the cylinder and crank the saw to see if it has spark. Check those couple of things and report back so we can tell you what you need to do. You are probably looking at a whole fuel system rebuild as Andyshine77 mentioned.

4. dougand3

dougand3

See if you can get a pop and 2 sec run with a tsp of fuel down the plug hole. May take 20 pulls cuz will be floody.

Chaz, M2theB, In the Pines and 3 others like this.
  5. In the Pines

In the Pines

You could try mechanic in a bottle. It might work and it might not and you still end up needing a rebuild.
    Worst that could happen is you're out several dollars and it still doesn't run.
    I've tried it before but never on anything that wasn't running.

Chaz, M2theB, Chazsbetterhalf and 2 others like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sitting that long it will be tough for sure. Methinks Andy got it right.

7. Yawner

Yawner

I added a little Seafoam that I use in my boat engine and the dang saw cranked right up and I ran it a bit and shut it down because I had to go do something. When I came back to the saw in a couple hours and tried again, it won't start, it's back to the pull, pull, pull fatigue! BTW, the fuel I put in it is 50:1 Trufuel, I don't have any 40:1. I figured just this exercise of getting it cranked, the 50:1 won't matter. Any problem with that thinking? (I think the old 011 Stihl used 4o:1?)

In the Pines, Chaz and M2theB like this.
  8. dougand3

dougand3

40 vs 50:1 doesn't matter. You have proven saw has compression and spark at the right time. Like Andy said - work on fuel delivery.

9. Andyshine77

Andyshine77

Sounds like she will run with a rebuilt fuel systems. I run at least 40:1 but 50:1 won't kill your saw. Best of luck with the saw.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Chaz and M2theB like this.