In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Almond for lumber?

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by bigfrank, May 23, 2019.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank

I may have a chance to get into a 40 acre almond orchard this late Summer and wondered if anyone has milled and almond wood into lumber, and if so, how did it work out for you? What did you use it for?

I haven't seen the orchard, and don't know if the trees are even big enough to fool with for lumber. If not, I'll get a bunch of firewood.

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Never seen it slabbed out, might be beautiful, hopefully, but probably nice for firewood as well. Possible WIN-WIN, or win-win at best.
    :yes:
    KUITL:salute:

3. bigfrank

bigfrank

It's a hardwood, but don't know anyone that burns it to see how good of a firewood it is.

4. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Have no idea what an almond tree even looks like.
    But it seems like an interesting proposition. Keep us updated if you would. I'm interested.

5. Timberdog

Timberdog

They sell almond wood for firewood in California by the box at grocery stores and man does it burn HOT HOT HOT! They even label it as “hotwood” on the box it comes in.

Hot Wood

bigfrank, Horkn, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  6. bigfrank

bigfrank

Well seems things are changing. The orchard actually became 60 acres, but the owner told me the other day they have a comercial guy coming in to get it. He did say they are going to leave two rows of trees for friends and family to get, so I should still be able to get some wood.

Found out that guys like to burn almond. When I drove by the orchard, the stems don't look big enough to fool with slabbing out, so it will just have to be firewood. Setting up a couple of trailers with a winch so I can try and pull up logs and haul them home rather than spend all the time out in the orchard. When I get the trailers and winch all setup, I'll post some pics.

Horkn, brenndatomu, FatBoy85 and 4 others like this.
  7. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Leaves and tree look very similar to a peach tree. My dad had one for several years.

8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I was recently looking online and before had seen some boxes of almond wood that are used in bbqing at an adult beverage store. Odd place for it but I wonder why I didn’t pick it up before. Makes me want to try it. Did you get a chance to take your trailer up there bigfrank?

brenndatomu and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  9. bigfrank

bigfrank

Take my trailer where???

FatBoy85 likes this.
  10. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

I would be quite thrilled to get some green (wet) almond for carving... Any chance you'd be willing to box up a few/several pieces to ship out to the east coast? Tell me what you want for the wood/shipping & your time. I could use anything from 4" diameter on up. Branches, thin trunks anywhere from 10" up to 16"ish long. Stuff with bends and crooks too.
    Also wouldn't mind a piece or two 12"-16" diameter or so, 16"-18" inches long, maybe half of a round spit across the pith to keep the weight down but it may start getting cost prohibitive to ship. I know some people take great advantage of the USPS Flat Rate boxes for wood trading.
    I've been teaching my son greenwood carving and for as long as he's been old enough to understand, teaching him about all the different trees/woods & their different attributes. He's gotten interested in collecting a sample of every kind of wood out there and we are trying to do a similar carving of every species we can get our hands on.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    T.Jeff Veal, FatBoy85 and bigfrank like this.
  11. bigfrank

bigfrank

Keep an eye out for a post that I have gotten it. I haven't gotten with the guy who has it. so I'm not sure when it's going to happen. Supposed to be this month though. I would have no problem sending some out to you. Just pay tyhe shipping. Don't think any of the trees are real large in diameter. I'm guessing in the 10"-12" range.

12. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Would be much appreciated.
    Too bad the deal went that way on you. I hate it when the big commercial operations jump in on good deals...

bigfrank likes this.
  13. bigfrank

bigfrank

We will see how it goes. Going to try and get a hold of the owners this next week.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Sorry I missed this but in your above post said this:

15. bigfrank

bigfrank

I think this almond hoard is falling through. Too bad, it was fairly close to my house.

I do have pics of my winch all setup. I need to get them off my hone and get them on here.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  16. bigfrank

bigfrank

Well got a call from the land owner with the almond orchard today. He asked if I wanted some wood. I ran down and looked. They are pushing over two rows for friends and family, and he said I could take what I wanted of those two rows. The balance went to a local commercial wood cutter. Unfortunately, I wore out one of my hips, and I can only work for an hour or two at a time. But you know I'm going down there tomorrow to see what I can do. Will post some pics.

RabbleRouser and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  17. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Hip wore out... In what way? Depending on what it is, you might be surprised how much it can be restored by some simple nutrition and herb extracts as well as stretching that targets the specific muscles. I don't care if the joint is half eroded, your body can heal it if you give it the right stuff. I've got considerable experience in that area, willing to share.

bigfrank and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  18. bigfrank

bigfrank

I'm always open for information. I have a torn Labum for one thing. But according to the doctors looking at my MRI, I have narrowing of the joint, near bone on bone. It also showed edema at the ball where it has had impact problems. It pretty much has kept me from a lot of my everyday life for the last 6 months. Going for a second opinion hopefully here soon. I did go out for the first time in 6 months and cut a little wood today. Sort of paying for it tonight, but it sure was nice to put some saws in the wood for a change. You cam PM me here if you like. Might be easier.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  19. bigfrank

bigfrank

I went down to the orchard for the first time today. Cut and loaded some firewood, but had to stop as my hip (and other parts) were getting pretty sore. Here are a few pics...

The trees are not that big or tall and they are pretty brushy. Here is a pic of what I'm getting off of one tree...
    20191017_092047.jpg

Here is what the orchard looks like. It's 60 acres, but they are only going to let us (us being a few friends and family. Not sure how many that is) cut two rows and the rest goes to a local commercial cutter...

20191017_085625.jpg

Some of the saws I had today. Near to far: Husqvarna 372xp (new top end and it runs great!), Husqvarna 50 (old white top model, and mostly what I used today), and Husqvarna 288xp (a beast of a saw that I didn't run today.)

20191017_090042.jpg

And what I brought home today. I guess about 2 face cord or so. Would have loved to stay a few more hours and got a full load, but the old body said NO!

20191017_144555.jpg

eatonpcat, Winston, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  20. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Will do.