In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Maple leaves

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Chaz, Jun 9, 2019.

  1. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,978
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Can you guys n gals confirm these maple leaves for me.
    :binoculars:

    IMG_20190609_141048288.jpg

    Hard/sugar maple

    IMG_20190609_141103557.jpg
    Red maple

    IMG_20190609_141112568.jpg
    Silver maple

    Thx
     
  2. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
  3. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,978
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Thx Midwinter

    It's definitely not like what you posted, but does seem quite different from the "regular" hard/sugar maple specimen.

    Still learning here. Would you say that the last one is also hard/sugar maple as well?
     
  4. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    Looks like it to me, but I'm no expert.
     
  5. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,571
    Location:
    Vermont
    I think last one could be a Norway maple..
     
  6. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,625
    Location:
    The Mitten
    Have to agree. Last looks a lot like Norway. Cut the invasive pest down. Gooder firewood too. Don't see any silver maple in your picks Chaz. Bark pics are also helpful when determining between maple species.
     
  7. Moparguy

    Moparguy

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2017
    Messages:
    1,137
    Likes Received:
    8,274
    Location:
    TN
    You got the first two right. Third could be sugar, but I'm not familiar with Norway Maple.
     
  8. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,571
    Location:
    Vermont
    Moparguy Norway maple is a common import here that was used and planted extensively in the 50s and 60s. It does better in urban environments than sugar maple does.
    Basically city Folk wanted a maple like they saw in the country so they brought them in..
     
  9. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,978
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Very true, extremely common in Olean.

    I read that Norway maple is supposed to have a whitish sap coming from the leaf stem, but I'll be darned if I can see any.

    I'll keep an eye out for seeds, they're quite distinguishable.
    :binoculars:
    :yes:

    NY also considers it an invasive species, after it was planted all over the state.
    :loco: :crazy:
    :picard:
     
  10. Moparguy

    Moparguy

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2017
    Messages:
    1,137
    Likes Received:
    8,274
    Location:
    TN
    Thanks, I just looked it up on Google images. From what it looks like, the bark looks more "ashy" or "hickorish". Our sugar maples are all cracked, curled, and often times black on older trees.
     
  11. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,571
    Location:
    Vermont
    Moparguy yes.. the problem with Maples is the bark is so different from a young tree to a very old tree it changes three or four times. It's why I have a hard time identifying Maple from the bark and a picture. I never know how old the tree is.
     
  12. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    images.jpg
    Norway maple leaves also turn pretty much one hue of banana yellow in the fall
     
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334