In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Smoker recommendations

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Andy8850, May 14, 2019.

1. Andy8850

Andy8850

Hey guys, new here but feel like I’ve found my new favorite place, what are you guys using for smokers? I have a cheap smoke hollow propane fired smoker that I’ve used for a few years now with great results but it’s starting to get a little old and ratty now, what are you guys using?? Thanks in advance!

2. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I just bought a Traeger 22 at HD, $599. I needed to replace my grill and had been looking at pellet cookers, smoked a shoulder and some salmon this past weekend, it did fine.

3. BHags

BHags

I own two 22" Weber Kettles. Grill, smoke, slow cook, all in one.

4. SkidderDone

SkidderDone

Just finished up my ugly drum a few weeks ago. I've a done a few pork butts and rack of St. Louis cuts on it. Holds temps great once you figure everything out. I freakin' love it! IMG_0817.JPG

5. Andy8850

Andy8850

Was that a kit or scratch built?

6. SkidderDone

SkidderDone

Hybrid. I bought the coal basket and grills but everything else is homegrown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. cnice_37

cnice_37

Got to be the best bang for the buck right there!

8. MikeyB

MikeyB

That is freaking cool Skidderdone. What are the ball valves and long nipples for on the bottom?, air intakes?

9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I've got a Traeger ...

Barcroftb and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  10. SkidderDone

SkidderDone

Yep they're air intakes

11. MikeyB

MikeyB

Nice, how big is that Santa Maria style grill next to the drum? Looks like a beast

Barcroftb and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  12. SkidderDone

SkidderDone

72". Total overkill for regular grilling but I got a good deal on it and it looks cool in my bbq area:cool:. My wife is going to nursing school so I'm doing most of the cooking. I take 1 weekend day and cook all the meat we'll use for the week because SHTF during the weekdays. So in that sense it does come in handy. I'll usually do 2 tri-tips and 2 whole chickens on the grill and smoke a pork butt for pulled pork or do some ribs. My 4 year old daughter is fiend for tri-tip and pork.:dex:I'm gonna do a whole hog on it this summer.:drool: I've never done one so I'm looking forward to it.

QQUK4867.JPG

13. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Weber smokey mountain 18.5in size here. Had it for 20yrs. Still going strong. Can get 4 pork butts in it, top and bottom shelves holding 2 each.

14. SkidderDone

SkidderDone

One of the best made from what I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. MikeyB

MikeyB

Man oh man, that’s a beast. I’m thinking of doing a suckling pig over my S&S fire pit. Looking into portable rotisseries for it as we speak. Please post more pics of that grill in action. That’s amazing

16. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

17. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Oklahoma Joe here! Got it on sale at Lowes last spring and I couldn't be happier. Think I paid between around $225, it's a great bang for your buck and I've had excellent results. They are very popular and TONS of youtube videos on how to smoke with them and many videos for small inexpensive modifications to it to enhance your smoking experience.

I hear awesome things about the Weber smokey mount as well!

18. woody5506

woody5506

I have the Weber Smokey Mountain 14" which is a great size for just the family. Doesn't go through much charcoal but I've never smoked butts or brisket on it, usually just ribs or chicken or anything else that doesn't really take a 12+ hr smoke. I'd rather have a bigger model for doing stuff like that.

Also have a Masterbuilt propane smoker, the large model. Got it for Christmas two years ago and still haven't put it together. Ironically once I got it and saw the quality/construction of it I kinda just realized how much better the WSM is, and charcoal in general. Wouldn't mind selling it but I feel bad, as it was a pretty generous gift from my sister.

19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I haven't actually seen the 14" WSM. Should your charcoal run out, you can always wrap whatever is in the smoker in foil, put it in/on a roasting pan and put it in a 225 degree oven to finish it off. No additional smoke needed at that point.

20. woody5506

woody5506

There's been times where I've just started another load of charcoal in a chimney, or a partial load anyway, and just dump it into the smoker. I know a couple different people with the 18" model who wish they also had the 14 when they are just cooking for a couple people. I think the biggest thing I've done in mine is a 12-14 lb turkey. Part of me wants to sell the gigantic Masterbuilt that I'll never use and either get the next size up WSM or just a nice charcoal grill. I've been a propane grill guy forever but more and more I just am gravitating toward coal.