In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fence Gate Sag Latch Woos!

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Apr 22, 2019.

  1. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello
    Common problem here, the new gate settled. The hinges can reset the height but what about the latch? The gate is not latching by itself anymore and the 2 screws are slowly stripping from the latch striker! Yesterday they finally have way and the light vinyl door (just like the song) is blowing in the wind!
    This is the original latch with the ridged 2 bolt lever that must be in the same place or it will not work!
    https://m.lowes.com/pd/BOERBOEL-4-1-2-in-Stainless-Steel-Gate-Latch/50290457
    After a lot of research, I found this!
    Auto self adjusting after a sag up to 1/2” :)
    https://m.lowes.com/pd/National-Hardware-4-1-8-in-Black-Gate-Latch/50414122
    Now the problem is that the wire to the other side is stiff and preventing the fence from latching by itself when the gate hinge springs close it?
    I tried changing the wire to twine and it works more often but not every time when I take the wire or string off!!
    Any suggestions?
    My guess is the hole is too close to the top of the latch and maybe if was higher up, that may help?
    Or even more flexible nylon rope? Or small chain?
    Pic 1-2 Original latch with rigid 2 screw striker
    Pic 3 New self adjusting latch
    Pic 4-7 shows latch self adjusting
    Pic 8 - Shows twine that helps latching but still not 100%
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    "Any suggestions?"
    Woes.

    Wooing a fence post is comical.


    I have a latch like that on a garden gate and the screw mounting holes are slotted to allow for some seasonal adjustment. I'd probably elongate holes with a file if a replacement didn't have them.
     
    Chazsbetterhalf and don2222 like this.
  3. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    That is not the problem, it is the string or wire now that keeps it from latching. Wire is stiff and pushes back, Maybe the wrong angle or the hole diameter is too small causing more friction?
    If I take the string or wire off it works fine until I get locked in the Backyard and the fence is too tall to reach over!!! LOL
     
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  4. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello
    Well, I drilled a hole 5” higher with the flexible twine and it works! Now I am thinking some nice small stainless steel chain or nylon rope like they use on pool thermometers would be more durable and weather proof??
    Now I have to plug the other 2 holes!
    Should it be this difficult???
     

    Attached Files:

    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  5. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello
    Just got some nickel plated chain.
    Will this work better and be weather proof?
     

    Attached Files:

  6. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Not very weather resistant.
    1/16” or less, stainless wire rope better.
     
  7. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Wire rope is too stiff, that is what I had in Pic 7
    Pic 8 is twine which worked.
    Nickel plating will not rust.
     

    Attached Files:

    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  8. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Thinner, like on a retractable gadget that holds say a pair of small pliers used for fish hook removal, or the same type of retraction gizmo for a carpenter’s pencil.
     
    Chazsbetterhalf and don2222 like this.
  9. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    1/16 SS rope like this
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  10. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,759
    Location:
    KC Metro
    I use like 16 gauge electrical wire for mine. That way I can latch & unpatch with it... I just have a box of odds & end wire.. I used string for a while till the UV light took care of it...
     
    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  11. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello
    The nickel plated steel chain seems good
    See pics and vid!
    Vid 1 - closing gate shown from the front


    Vid 2 - closing gate shown from the back
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  12. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    We had this locking type of gate latch at my last job. It went 10 years with no issues. I liked the locking feature on it. Even if you could reach over the gate or if it was on a slatted fence gate, it could not be opened. It is reversible for either gate swing. Being outside, we just did a seasonal lube to the lock cylinder.

    LLAAB-EAK-1.jpg
     
    don2222 likes this.
  13. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Not happy with the chain I had so I went to the only thing that works every time that was invented by a contractor and made in the USA. :)
    Gate Latch Cable with spring, :)
    Works great! $9,99
     

    Attached Files: