In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

EDC Knife thread

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Smokinpiney, Jul 4, 2014.

1. GrJfer

GrJfer

My new Spyderco Delica gen 4 Zome. Been a Spyderco fan for many years. Bought my first one in 1990 an Endura Generation 1 in SpyderEdge.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190301131436802_COVER.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190226114118257_COVER.jpg

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Top knife is sweet! I need a Spyderco in my life. Just bought another LCP so it's going to have to wait.

3. GrJfer

GrJfer

Spyderco Para 3. 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190308125640775_COVER.jpg

Knothead, Bert, Road-side Oak and 8 others like this.
  4. GrJfer

GrJfer

Lil Native. 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190326113713595_COVER.jpg

Knothead, Bert, Road-side Oak and 7 others like this.
  5. colin.p

colin.p

Snagged a brand new in box 908 SBK Stryker. Benchmade made these from 2014-2016 so not sure when it was made but probably 2016.

Attached Files:

6. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

I’m new to FHC and just stumbled on to this thread. Happy there is an EDC knife page here as I think there is a strong correlation between wood hoarding and knife collecting/appreciation. I’ll have to look around but I’m sure there must also be a thread for axes and mauls???? Anyway, I’m sure I’m not adding anything that hasn’t been said before but I almost always have a Spyderco in my pocket. I started out carrying a Kershaw leek as many above have posted and that knife pulled me into the pocket knife works for daily use, it’s a great piece. When I was ready to “upgrade” I tried many models from several brands like ZT, Benchmade and Giant Mouse. I always come back to spyderco for ergonomics and pure cutting ability (broad flat grind that is thin behind the edge). My favorites include:
    -Sage 2 or Native 5 for EDC
    -Endura 4 for camping
    -Para-Military 2 for anytime I’m doing real work with my hands ... especially when working with firewood. I know this is kind of a boring pick but I feel like it’s hard to beat that classic
    When u need a good blade size and rugged one handed operation while wearing gloves. Will post some pics of my favs when I get a chance.

Knothead, Bert, TurboDiesel and 7 others like this.
  7. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Welcome to FHC, Road-side Oak. I think man will always be fascinated with cutting tools of any type, whether they be knives, axes, saws or maybe we are all just a special kind of fascinated/interested......or just special.

Bert, TurboDiesel, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  8. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

Thanks for the welcome. Well said , I think your assessment is accurate on all counts!

9. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

This pretty much sums it up in terms of pocket time for me. From top down. Para 2, sage 2, native 5, and last is the ZT 0450 (with after market deep carry clip) always want to love the ZT more due to it’s smooth flipper action, pocket-ability, and overall asthetics... but that blade geometry doesn’t hold a candle to any spydie knife when you actually cutting something. Plus the Ergos don’t compare either in my opinion.

Attached Files:

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Welcome! And very nice little collection there. I sure do like Spyders and someday I'll pick one up.

Knothead, Bert, TurboDiesel and 2 others like this.
  11. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

Thanks! There is more where that came from. I highly recommend u try a spyderco sometime. U won’t be disappointed. I used to think they were kind of ugly looking compared to some other offerings out there... but once I used them I could see they were just slightly more weighted toward the useful side of the form vs function spectrum.

12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

My son has one. I just haven't got around to buying one yet. I have so many toys that suck the funds right out of my wallet it isn't funny. 2 motorcycles to feed is an expensive hobby.
    So what sharpening system do you use?

Bert, TurboDiesel, colin.p and 2 others like this.
  13. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

I hear you on the other hobbies depleting the fundage for sure. Most of the time I use the original spyderco sharpmaker. Sometimes I free hand on diamond rods or stones if I feeling steady handed or just need a quick touch up. I’m always thinking about switching to a guided system like lansky or wicked edge. I’ll get there eventually but for now the sharpmaker works for me pretty consistently. I get a good edge on some harder knife steels like S30V. Usually after 20 min on the sharpmaker I can push a blade cleanly through a piece of newsprint.... not shaving sharp but sharp enough for me.

Bert, TurboDiesel, colin.p and 3 others like this.
  14. GrJfer

GrJfer

I recently added a couple of Byrd knives to my rotation. I wanted something inexpensive that would mine abusing or even loosing. Currently carrying a Cara Cara 2 for every day around the yard and out in the woods work. Really like it, I think Spyderco did well with the Byrd line. Only complaint has been a weak tip. I bent it, but it did not break.

For the price the Raven 2 is also a great value. 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190331110029099.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190326113547523_COVER.jpg

15. colin.p

colin.p

I rarely carry my 0450CF, as I have a hard time holding on to it. I've dropped it several times already and like you, am not really impressed with the cutting capabilities, or lack thereof. However, makes for a nice fidget toy.

I'm also not much of a Spyderco fan, even though I am starting to thaw out to them somewhat, albeit slowly. I do prefer carrying my Para3 over my PM2 but I reserve the right to change that at anytime. I'm a Benchmade fan so the large Spydie hole is rather "bleah" to me, much prefer slimmer blades and thumb studs.

Oh and I'm glad you dropped in, it does get a little "echo-y" in here from time to time.

Knothead, Bert, TurboDiesel and 3 others like this.
  16. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

... great looking photos of some great looking knives! I really need to stage my shots a little better.

Knothead, Bert, TurboDiesel and 2 others like this.
  17. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

Thanks I’m glad to be here. Your comment, Colin.p , on the 0450 is right on... great fidget toy! That knife currently functions as my gentleman’s folder (although I know it’s far from what most would think of in that category). I tend to carry it when going to dinner with my wife or other times when I want to have a fun knife with nice fit and finish, but I don’t really plan on needing to use it very much for cutting . Can’t even count the number of times my wife has scolded me for figeting with that thing when out to dinner! I see you are a big benchmade fan, I have been thinking of trying out a 940 or a mini crooked river. As for my spydie wishlist I’m thinking a para 3 will be next purchase but also considering a shaman which would fufill a similar purpose but a bit bigger. Then there is the spydie chef and the kapara for EDC. They seem to out of stock everywhere at the moment which is a good thing as I really need to slow down on knives... after all I only own 1 chainsaw and I should be focusing on my 2 saw plan! Maybe I’ll turn in my knife hoarding card and actually let go of a few blades that never seem to find their way into my pocket.

18. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

Great point Ronaldo. The creation and use of cutting tools and the controlled use of fire are 2 of our species greatest achievements. These attributes helped define us from our ancestors. It’s not surprising that even after many thousands of years we are still fascinated by these topics. It’s in our roots.

19. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

****Correction***** make that millions of years!

20. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Early on in life I always carried a Buck Stockman pocket knife. Eventually got tired of it causing wear spots in my blue jeans. Then the Buck folding Hunter with the brass bolsters and locking blade came out and that was my EDC through middle age. Always looked strange though with dress clothes. In the past years, since 50, I have been carrying one of the Kershaw assisted, pocket clip varieties. I recently lost a half serrated, half blade Kershaw and bought a Kershaw OSO SWEET. Nice knife. Inexpensive, light, well built and I can sharpen a pencil without tearing it up with serrations! Think this one is a keeper!