In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet count

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Tullytown, Dec 7, 2018.

1. dotman17

dotman17

I gotta ask... how's your insulation?

2. bogieb

bogieb

I tore out all drywall on the main floor in 2014, plugged up holes between the roof joists and wall (seriously, I was scabbing in plywood between every single joist), put in R13 and wind barrier, then installed 1/2" drywall (it had been 1/4") This is a 2x4 construction, so can't fit any more in there. New windows (triple pane and argon filled), new roof, 2 out of 3 exterior doors are new and also added storm doors to the two that didn't have any. Last year I finished insulating the basement with rigid foam, then reflectix and sheetrock (with air gap for reflexctix to do its thing). Of course the underhouse garage doesn't help because that means 2 rooms have 4 out of 8 sides exposed to cold winter air.

I'm in way better shape than I was when I bought the place in late 2013! But when this heating season started in August, and looks to keep going until nearly June (please God, don't let it go until June 28 - as it did a couple of years ago).

dotman17 likes this.
  3. dotman17

dotman17

Maybe it's time to move. :D

bogieb likes this.
  4. dotman17

dotman17

You have spent time and $$$$$ and this reads like you have done all the right things. How is your ceiling insulation?

5. bogieb

bogieb

Seriously, if you want to come over to my house go over it with a fine toothed comb, and critique what the heck I have done to it, be my guest. While you are at it, remember that I live in a far colder area than you do. I feel like I'm under the inquisition here.

Also, remember that when I moved in I was paying 1k - 1.3k PER MONTH to heat the place. Now I am down to 1.5k for the YEAR.

Sorry if I am taking this the wrong way.

ttdberg, dotman17 and subsailor like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I only burned 9 for April. :)

169 total so far.

:banana:

ttdberg, bogieb and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  7. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Just shy of 6 tons so far.

ttdberg and bogieb like this.
  8. dotman17

dotman17

Not at all! What you have done has been a major investment in your home. You are ahead of the game. I would not have felt comfortable making all the improvements myself like you have -- and even if you had somebody else do it -- you score big points for having it done. Guys like me who joke around about moving really joke around. It takes a lot to leave your home. The 1.5k annually to heat your place is a bargain as you mention. Fortunately, I am able to do it for half that -- but that's ONLY because I live in more mild temps as you mention. Also I am grateful my environment doesn't expose my insulation issues.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Rich250 and bogieb like this.
  9. dotman17

dotman17

I was a little less than 2 1/2 tons this year.

I'm guessing about 123 bags.

bogieb likes this.
  10. Tullytown

Tullytown

My house is an old 1926 2 story house that has more windows than walls. Seriously. All windows are insulated but dont think insulation is going to do much with my setup. Maybe blow in stuff but would take long time to recoup i assume.1200 a year in pellets isnot bad compared to oil i would use.

bogieb likes this.
  11. bogieb

bogieb

Eh, I was having a day where everyone, who knew nothing, was questioning my judgment in a volunteer position :BrianK:. I got a little crotchety (I'm old, I'm allowed). Yeah, someone else did the roof and windows and about 1/2 of the sheet rock. But I did all the demo (except roof), all the insulation, vapor barrier, raised flooring in the basement (because it is pretty damp), one of the pellet stoves, mudding, painting etc. Of course nothing is actually "finished".

All is good - sorry again for getting my dander up :handshake:

12. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

We all do....
    I think you have done awesome... especially given you tackle everything alone...

Dan

(who took the bike out again today! Nice...)

bogieb likes this.
  13. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

11 in April, 153 for the season

Keep up the good work bogieb. We have done some insulation work here too. Nothing to the extent you have done, but every little bit helps and over time you definitely notice the difference it makes.

bogieb likes this.
  14. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

About 1/10th of a bag on May 6th - in the pellet grill.

15. dotman17

dotman17

:D

bogieb likes this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

6.5 or 7.5 tons, woops, lost track.... 1/2 ton left, we'll pick up a ton of the crappy pellet for the summer.

Lousyweather, dotman17 and bogieb like this.
  17. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Yeah well nothing to be proud of but heh life is what it is and you do the best with what you have to work with. I more than doubled Bogie but have once again have been asked to do a job that is a few years of work to be done in less than a year and it is for an awesome cause as I have explained earlier. So with that said and also having lost a year to an injury in a sense that I could not risk being re-injured I have done nothing to my house to improve it including insulating it. My basement is damp and I have large trees surrounding my house that shade it even during the winter to some degree so this house is cold if I do not heat it. It was built in 1860 and had zero insulation and while I live south of many of the mountain folk it still gets cold here much colder than in the city.
    I love my wife and my pets so working 70 hours a week is what it takes right now to support them and I at least am not getting paid for only 40 as previously with my old employer, this allows me to purchase the insane amount of pellets it takes to keep my wife and pets warm.
    This year at least 13 ton but more probable approaching 14 , will be happy when it stays warm and the rain stops. With that said in a year when this job is completed I hope to go back to work on my house so that means one more season of insane burning.
    I only wish I had Bogie's drive and stamina but after a long day I can't find it in me to work on the house once I have released the days stress, Bogie rocks.

Missed all the good People here and look forward to unwinding here more often as there should be a short Lull in the action as we have basically ran over the design team , yep the same team that was squawking, micro managing or trying to about the demolition as it was a monumental task but we crushed it and instead of them worrying about their work as they should have been they have now been run over and the work is slowing down.
    Hope all are well and always good to chat with Ya'll

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and bogieb like this.
  18. bogieb

bogieb

Glad you are getting a lull!

19. bogieb

bogieb

15 bags for May (and haven't burned much in the last 2 weeks - and before that pretty much only used the main floor stove). Total count for season = 299 bags. The OCD in me wants to see a nice even 300 bags used, but the normal part of me doesn't want to turn the stoves on again until December.

Luneyburg, dotman17 and Tullytown like this.
  20. dotman17

dotman17

It's time to clean my flue. I am dragging my feet.

bogieb likes this.