In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Summer maintenance?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BigPapi, Apr 22, 2019.

1. BigPapi

BigPapi

First year with an indoor burner here, and loving it! Just wondering, what do you all who have been doing this for a long time perform for summer maintenance on your stove? Obviously a good chimney cleaning is in order, no problem there as I've run my soot eater up the stack and through the thimble a few times this season anyway, and one more sweep after burn season is in order. I'll get into the top, bathe the cat, scrape and vacuum out all the ash, inspect gaskets, empty and clean ash pan. My cat sled is binding a little, so I Think a little high temp anti seize might be a good solution.

What else? Interior walls are soapstone, and are a puzzle to remove and replace, so maybe those are best left alone. Bottom fire brick is easy enough to remove and inspect. What about moisture? I've heard of a bucket of moisture absorber. Anybody fog or wipe down the interior of the stove with some light oil to keep moisture from working on the steel? We keep the house dehumidified in summer, but the inside of the stove is open to the air - should I plan on battling condensation, or am I suffering from over analysis here? :)

2. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I put foam plugs in the stove pipe so I don’t get ash/soot smell in the house from reverse drafts. Oil the motor on the blower fan on the basement PE/T6. For looks I clean the glass on the PE and put little candles in the stove so I can still have fireside movie night with my wife during summer.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

You are pretty close Papi. Get with Woodstock to see what they recommend and also if any gaskets need replacing, which they should not yet, they sell a kit that can save a few dollars. I used the kit last year on the Fireview. I've never done anything to fight moisture. Never had a problem. But I do start the first fire in the fall a little slow so as to heat the stone slowly and avoiding any cracking. Had the stove 12 years and no problems there.

Barcroftb, bear 1998, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  4. billb3

billb3

With tube stoves all I ever do is clean/inspect the chimney and clean out the ash like I would during the Winter while in use. Really don't see the point of vacuuming out every last flake of ash. We've never 'smelled' ash in the Summer. Unless you're going to use the firebox to store groceries, why bother ?
    Add a cat to the mix and I'd clean it and put it back, close the door and hope there are not too many cold Summer nights to need to light it up.

Barcroftb, Chaz, MightyWhitey and 5 others like this.
  5. BigPapi

BigPapi

We have gotten a little stove stink in warm humid weather, so I guess it's going to be a thing in the summer.

Looking around the interwebs, I think I'll just stick a couple water balloons (...not full of water..) in the thimble. There are "chimney balloons" on the market that go for $ 40! Way too rich for my blood. Easy enough to pull a balloon or two out if there's a cool damp day, easy enough to replace as needed. I'll leave a big note inside the stove so I don't forget to remove the balloons before firing it up. Maybe I can avoid this by just taking over the intakes.. HMm.

Savage, I'm going to Woodstock's neighborhood for work mid May, that's on my list of questions when I stop and visit. :) Will also grab any parts that need grabbing, probably a gasket kit just to have on hand.

Ohio, are you using foam insulation board? Easy enough to get a tight fit?

6. woody5506

woody5506

After the first season I did a pretty good job cleaning out the pipe and all the ash outta the stove, cleaned the glass, etc. Then I realized I'd probably be better off sweeping the chimney in the fall prior to the first burn, in case any bird nests or bees or whatever got into the chimney during the summer. Not that I've had that issue but, If you sweep before you burn I guess you'll know for sure.

Barcroftb, bear 1998, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  7. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

That's an awesome idea, thank you! I do miss the sight of the stove being lit especially on the weekends!

This was my 1st burn season ever and I plan on doing what most was mentioned. Clean the box, inspect the box, fire bricks, baffle, door gasket, etc.... do a liner sweep with the sooteater, and clean and oil the blower. I'll prob hop on the roof as well just to check the chimney cap and wire brush it down if I see any build up on it. I probably won't do this till Sept/Oct.

Barcroftb, bear 1998, BigPapi and 2 others like this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I would highly recommend you do not wait that long to do it. Reason is if you find something that needs tending to, you have to allow time to get any parts if needed then install or any repairs. Waiting until it is time to use the stove or too close to that time always seems to make that sort of problem crop up. Yet I have to admit, I've done it. Not good for sure.

Chuck, I hope you saw some of the pictures from our GTG.

9. fox9988

fox9988

I just make sure the glass is clean. I sweep the chimney and dust off the cat in the fall.

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I've gotten the smell sometimes, I hang a bag of damprid in stove. Available at any boat supply store. But our standard humidity up here is 70% +.

11. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

12. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I am hoping nothing needs attending too since it's a new stove but very Sounds advice Dennis going forward, thank you. When I put the stove in this past labor day I called the company I ordered the liner from and he said whatever you do don't wait until Oct/Nov because all hec breaks loose with orders from folks waiting till last minute :yes:.

I sure have seen the pics of the G2G and looked like a hell of a time and what an outstanding job Eric VW did of capturing it all. Really good stuff!

Barcroftb, bear 1998, BigPapi and 3 others like this.
  13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I had a lot of help!!!:yes:

bear 1998, BigPapi and ReelFaster like this.
  14. BigPapi

BigPapi

Looks like I'll be waiting until July for summer maintenance. This likely amounts to about two months of down time. Maybe I'll skip the chimney plug. :)

Barcroftb and bear 1998 like this.
  15. Suburban wood snob

Suburban wood snob

Plugs are for appliances.

Barcroftb likes this.