In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Boiler Phase 2

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by lukem, Jan 18, 2019.

1. lukem

lukem

Slowly but surely been chipping away at this project. Made my final connection today and will flush, fill, and leak check everything tomorrow.

I am soooooo ready to be done with this.

2. lukem

lukem

Everything is filled up. Only 2 leaks...one union needed tightening and another one is a slow drip that may seal itself. Going to give it a little time and see what happens.

Flow rate seems a little low....need to dig into that.

3. Felter

Felter Banned

I'm not really seeing an a huge advantage to the mixing valve. I get that you want the heat more consistently in your base board heat. but with a wood boiler, the manual part of filling the boiler and the inconsistency of the cold temperatures, adds too many variables to the equation. I have come home to 110* water, other times with -50* weather, I woke up to 180* water, and 60* in my house. (first year using in floor heat) I would think you would want the ability to dump a lot of heat at one time, just in case you wake up late, come home late, or don't throw in enough wood or the wood doesn't burn as long as you expected. or doesn't take off as quick as expected. just my .02

4. lukem

lukem

Still had a few odds and ends to tie up before winter. Installed 2 new wireless thermostats for the bedrooms. Total of 5 zones now....basement...north bedrooms...south bedrooms...main living area...mud room. Added some switches so I can cut power to the entire system or just the boiler.

Just need to pipe in the old propane boiler. I have all the lines run...just need to make final connections. No rush as there is always someone around to feed the beast if we are away for a few days.

Probably will start burning in 3 or 4 weeks for DHW.....Wont need heat for a while.

5. lukem

lukem

The last cold snap took us down to single digits with a lot of wind. Boiler circ pump is on medium and radiator circ pump is on low. Absolutely no issues keeping this place warm...still had extended periods of time where zones didnt call for heat. Feeling good about my setup.

Propane backup now plumbed in.

Just need to heat the garage now.