These 3 "STUDS" stopped by our bird feeders for a fast snack this afternoon. Chasing all those hens around the yard works up an appetite for sure............................
I looked out the front window yesterday morning and saw what I thought was a lone turkey so I burst out the front door to give it a good startle and see it run away and it ended up being a turkey buzzard picking at either a rabbit or squirrel entrails. It had a rather impressive wing span up so close. We had a flock of twenty or thirty for a couple of years and then last Spring we had some coyotes clean the whole flock right out. I saw no signs of any all Winter.
saw a bunch on a back road today. all of them got off the road but one... nope , there were 2... get a room!!
Turkeys are now regular visitors here, especially hens with poults in the late spring, they love going in the gardens. They were gone from New England since 1850, in the 70's we traded West Virginia for some, and we gave them Fisher cats in the trade. Now they are well re-established.
About 42 or so on the hill near us. Some were strutting around. Way overpopulated. I havent seen a partridge or pheasant in years I believe the turkey in MA were brought in from NY. You have to listen for their accent...
We never had them in this part of the U.P. until recent years. I've been told that wherever a whitetail can survive a winter, so can a turkey. Then why weren't they here all along? Don't know. Of course, once you get over to the central and southern part of the U.P. they are a lot more prevalent.
Updated photo of probably the biggest TOM I have ever had here. This guy showed up yesterday and again today. I estimate his weight to be close to 30 lbs. and he is sporting a beard at least 12" long. A awesome specimen if you are into turkeys......................
I am very much into Turkeys, and stuffing, and Cranberry Sauce, Potatoes, and...... well, you get the picture.
One lone Tom out in the field tonight. Tough holding the binoculars and trying to get a pic with the phone 300 yrds out.
Woke up this a.m. to find BIG BOY hard at it with his flock. The three other males in the flock were laying low while he paraded around. Spring has sprung.........