In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Two more maples for the G2G

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by swags, May 3, 2014.

  1. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Dropped these two maples today. Both about 18"-20" at the base. Little bit tricky as I had 90* spot to drop them and both were leaning hard the wrong way. The first one was easy but the second one split three ways about 15' up. I pieced out the farthest back one, even though I hate using ladders it worked. I strapped the ladder to the tree I case anything hit the ladder. All went well though, got everything down and cut up. Left the logs as long as I could so we can cut them at the G2G. I used a bowline knot for the first time and wow is that a great knot.
     

    Attached Files:

    Trilifter7, MasterMech, Boog and 8 others like this.
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Glad you got those down safely, swags.
     
  3. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Took the Ranger back out there tonight to pick up the logs. First time I've really worked the winch on it and it was great. Pulled the logs up right onto the trailer, my uncle helped roll logs with the can't hook if they hung up. Really took the work out of getting logs into the trailer. Never thought much about bow much harder it is to brings log length home but the winch really took the effort out of it. And we got to see an amazing sunset while we were loading. Phone pics really didn't do it justice. Ended up with a good load, I'm guessing 1-1.5 cord on there. Will be fun to dig into it at the G2G!
     

    Attached Files:

  4. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I have a sick love of noodling maple cookies. :drool:
     
    swags likes this.
  5. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    So after you let these wood psychopaths (with hot rod saws) loose on this wood and it's cut up in about 1 hour, do the eating and drinking festivities begin? :campfire:
     
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Scotty Overkill, Boog and swags like this.
  6. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I can already picture someone showing up dressed like this and acting like this clip at about 3 minutes in.

     
  7. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    That's the third and smallest load I brought home. Gonna try to get two more before the G2G, and were dropping 5 big trees so should have plenty to cut. Dex is also bringing some big cants from a mill for the big CC saw races.
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  8. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I will gladly watch those.
     
  9. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I ought make it 6 and add another half dead maple to the mix, but that will depend on if we run out if stuff to do or not.
     
  10. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Nice buddy!!! :thumbs:

    I can't wait... :)
     
  11. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Nice load,
    Good job,
    Scotty is coming right, could've saved him one to show how the pros do it . :)

    Some one will need to be taking lots of pictures.
     
  12. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,495
    Likes Received:
    113,842
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Great Job! Good looking wood there...:thumbs:
     
  13. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    There is one that is on the maybe list that Scott is going to look at. It's one that will need some professional expertise to take down.
     
  14. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I'll be taking some pictures for sure. It'll be a good time. I'm looking forward to the bonfire and eating part.
     
  15. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    :)
     
  16. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    I'm getting anxious!! :cool::saw::yes:
     
    DexterDay and HoneyFuzz like this.
  17. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Gonna be awesome !! Dont forget some "smaller" stuff for my "lil" saws :) Seriously getting excited !
     
    swags likes this.
  18. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Starting this Saturday (maybe Sunday) I will make a post up with some of the prizes for door prizes, giveaways, raffles, and contest winners.

    I think some people will want to come based on the prizes and what you can win in a raffle! ! Some of the things we are getting are NICE!! :thumbs:

    I wanna let the suspense build a little... Pics to come once I can take an actual picture. :)

    If your not coming? You may want to reconsider. Head on over to North Canton Ohio!!