After a long hiatus from firewood processing due to work and other issues, I finally got around to getting some splitting done today. The bed of the truck is all red and white oak.
Man I forgot how ridiculously stringy white oak is! Talk about a pain in the butt, it seemed like every piece had to have all the stringy pieces chopped to get the rounds in two even after splitting. I kept trying to tear them apart but it wasn't happening lol.
Nice load Cert. I've had problems with white Oak even with the splitter. It always comes apart though. I'm persistent.....or a PITA, I keep forgetting which.
I never had a problem with white oak. Every log that I have come across behaved pretty much the same as any red oak. Splits real easy.
White oak is premium, worth the extra hassle splitting Nice load & stack ! Bet you enjoyed the work & had a good relaxing time splitting & stacking . Something about a stack of wood you just made, looking at it gives you a good feeling
Nice shots of the wood and pickup truck, glad your back to touching of the wood again. Were you at all depressed being away from processing so long?
Haha, guess my post wasn't very clear. I did use my hydraulic splitter but almost every round that you would split would still be attached by tons of big stringy pieces on the side opposite of the ram. You then either had to try to wrestle two massive halves around to the other side to use the ram or just hack through them with an axe. The stuff was stringy!!
I need some of your white oak!! I almost took some pictures on the one piece since we all know how much we love pictures lol. It was crazy just how hard it was to break those stringy pieces off.
Had the same issue here with red oak. Had to rotate quite a few of them to tear down through the opposite side. I get to cheat a little too using the boom to pick up the heavy rounds that were half split, and rotate em'… cheating is good…
After a long hiatus from firewood processing due to work and other issues, I finally got around to getting some splitting done today. The bed of the truck is all red and white oak. Sorry Cert, this is where I thought you were away from wood for awhile from. My bad
Well that was my second post that wasn't very clear...... I was away from the wood for awhile and yes it depressing especially since I used so much this year! I meant I wasn't clear that I was using hydraulics yesterday and not splitting like this
So, you're clearly not clear on how clear you need to be. Clearly. Just trying to get this clear in my head. Are we clear? I should stop.
That's the nice thing about the friendly members here....always trying to help clear things up....thanks Dave