In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Vermont Pellets

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Birddog91, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Birddog91

Birddog91

Wanted to re-post this. I had same problems with my VT pellets. Heavy ash bad flame etc, after seeing another posting I called them, Rick the VP called back right away, I explained I have been loyal to them and robbins, I also stated was not looking for anything major as I burn 1-2 tons max a year. He asked if he could personally drive down 25 bags to my home next week, and I said that was great. Service like that will keep my loyalty, though I understood not all product is perfect all the time. He stated in order to get supply out quicker he used a different technique causing some issues. Kudos to them for helping me out. I thought it was my stove, I cleaned it out good, replaced the back brick along with the igniter that need changing, yet it was a slow flame,lots of soot. I used MWP and they were fine, no matter how I adjusted the air flow the VTs would not burn right.

2. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

That right there is outstanding customer service! I know they can't accommodate everyone like that but still outstanding none-the-less.

3. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

great customer service, but I wish they would be competitive with other pellets in my area. I was buyinh premium for 250-260, but they never dropped below 300.

4. Birddog91

Birddog91

Early buy for me cost me about 300 delivered, I think 270 ish for pickup. I will let him know.

5. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

When in the early buy did you get these? I bought 5 tons in April. First ton is about 2/3 burned and no issues yet. Hope I am not surprised later...

6. Birddog91

Birddog91

Bought Aprilish delivered late july not sure what ton I received as far as date, but when MWP burns great,and they go slowly and put a black film on my glass I wonder. Left over Logik E were ok, but I needed new brickk and a full clean which I did x2

Russell and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  7. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Mine were delivered in April. My fingers are crossed they are all good.

8. bogieb

bogieb

I've burned all of 1 bag of Vermonts in the P61a - no, and I mean no ash and hot. I got these from a CL ad over the summer so they were last year's batch.

On another note, when I had a Hastings, it was a beotch trying to dial in for different pellets. I finally decided it would just get FSU's since I could get a good burn for those. Anything else I just couldn't get the mixture right for some reason. Not that the FSU's weren't a bit ashy, just I could get them dialed in with a good burn the best.

9. Birddog91

Birddog91

She is a temperamental girl,(going on 14 years old) but I love the old style stove look, sometimes the damper is wide open other times all but closed depending on the Pellet, hence I was a blazer/VT guy. But the mwp burns good, I only run it 6-8 hours a day max. I am lucky that wife and teenage girl like it on the cool side at night 60ish. Dino juice in AM when getting ready.

10. Birddog91

Birddog91

Half Ton delivered yesterday, he drove 4 hours down, I did have the bad "batch", gave me some good tid bits and insights about how things work in VT and relationships with other packers..... . Look forward to trying them soon!

Russell, bogieb and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  11. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

How did he know you had the bad batch?

12. Birddog91

Birddog91

He was able to tell by the color of the stripe on the bag and the shape of the ends of the bag,

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  13. Birddog91

Birddog91

If you have a lazy burn and a very light colored pellet its bad you will know, the new ones are in now and burning like a pro!!!

Russell, bogieb and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  14. Birddog91

Birddog91

I think early buy with delivery is like 3 bills for me

15. unbidden

unbidden

Took me a little while to get to the new replacement Vermont's. (I had 2 bad ton) I'm about 7 bags in and all is good. Just to add, the dust from the bad ones clogged up my hopper to the point where pellets could not feed through.

Russell, jtakeman, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  16. unbidden

unbidden

Figured I'd give an update. As I previously reported, received a couple bad ton of Vermonts, dusty, burned dirty with less heat than previous years. The company made good by giving me 2 ton for the price of 1. The first replacement ton was much better, however the second replacement ton has left a little to be desired. Being that my supply was getting low I decided to go with an old standby, Somerset. I cleaned the Harman, and tried a couple bags of Sets even though I do have 20 bags of Vermont left. Low and behold the Sets are burning clean with lots of heat. Bought them at Long Pond in Ct if anyone in the area is looking.

Luneyburg, Russell, jtakeman and 4 others like this.
  17. Birddog91

Birddog91

my 25 replacement bags burning fantastic actually drop the level to 2 and I get the same heat as other pellets on level 3. Now I am more than 1/2 way hrough old pellets and they are burning better, still not the same heat though. I want to buy more vermonts for next heating season... . I hope it is all figured out.

18. Russell

Russell

Well I just started using them . Picked up a 1/2 ton , I hope they now have a reliable product and I don't regret my purchase . You should never try short cuts to meet demand . If you've been successful with your process and it's a great pellet don't change anything . I was planning on buying 5 tons next season , keep me posted . Thanks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  19. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

I've always wanted to try Somersets, but they have never been on my side of Ct.

When you figure over 2.5 hours time round trip, and cost of gas, makes the trip expensive.