In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New truck shopping

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Horkn, Mar 29, 2017.

1. HDRock

HDRock

Yeah, ya gotta get the meats :dex:And I'm not talking about Arby's :rofl: :lol:

Hammy, Horkn, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  2. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Congrats! It’s a great looking truck. I’m looking forward to your motorcycle upgrade thread.

Hammy, Chvymn99, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

I'm looking for either used Ducatis, or a used ktm rc8.

Hammy and MasterMech like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, a front level spacer kit and a set of different rims with say 35" tires on it will be on the list. These chrome 20" look nice, but buying meats for 20's will probably be stupid vs say for 18" wheels. Then I'll have a wheelset to swap for long road trips.

There was a black 6.5" bed same year, but ecoboost at the same dealer yesterday. It had nice blocky 5 spokes with nice sized meats on it.

That truck sold yesterday too. It was too long to for in my garage, and I dislike black trucks because of the amount of work to keep them clean. Also had the mega trailer mirrors that are ginormous. It needed the bedliner and a tonneau too.

Hammy, Chvymn99, Thor and 1 other person like this.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Truer words have never been spoken. I’ve had to accept imperfection and live with the swirl marks from the automatic. I just don’t have the time to hand wash and if I didn’t do the auto, my truck would be Carolina red. (Clay)

6. Horkn

Horkn

I had a former coworker that always had black vehicles. She always had them spotless. Never swirl marks, nothing. Like showroom.
    One day I asked her how much time she spends washing waxing and swirl removal.

She responded in saying she doesn't spend any time doing it and that her husband does all the work cleaning her vehicles, always a crew cab full size and also a smaller car too (last was/is a caddy ATS). She only buys black vehicles.
    She then said that he spends a lot of time keeping them clean.

Our 4runner is black. Bought it new that way, it was the only v8 on the lot. Wife ( gf at the time) said she'd never had a black car before.

Never again, not if there's a choice.

A bike, yeah, I'll buy a black bike. But a big crew cab full size truck is a whole lot more to keep clean.

clemsonfor, Hammy, 94BULLITT and 2 others like this.
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Don’t get me wrong, on a showpiece or a toy, I take any color so long as it’s black. :D Ok, there’s a few others I’ll tolerate too....:rolleyes:

But on a daily driver, black is just going to show every bump, ding, and scratch life throws your way.

8. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Congrats on the new truck. It looks really nice. It looks like it has a pretty nice tonneau cover too. Is it an Access Lorado? You can put Bilstein or Rancho struts on the front that will lift/ level truck and then some bigger tires will fit up under it.

I hate selling vehicles. It always seems to be a big pain in butt.

Hammy, Horkn, TurboDiesel and 2 others like this.
  9. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Go through a touchless carwash. You can also get a foam cannon for your pressure washer and wash it home.

Hammy, Chvymn99, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  10. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I like to detail. I wish I had more time to do it and a place to keep my vehicles inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hammy and Chvymn99 like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

The tonneau is an extang. Not certain what model or how it rolls up, but I'll figure it out, look on the internet, or ask here;) I just know that it's in good shape and I don't have to buy one as I'd need one before driving it down to Florida and back. That turns the bed into a trunk for coolers, grill, luggage, etc.

It's got the FX4 off road kit with the e-locker and so I think it's already got ranchos. A front spacer will level it out.
    Yeah selling cars is kinda a pita. I now have another guy asking a lot of questions about it.

12. Horkn

Horkn

Our 4runner has only ever been though touchless washes and it has swirls. It's been garaged too. I'll try some other products on it this summer.

13. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Some clear coats are softer than others. Do you hand wash it also?

14. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Woooot...congrats Horkn, the anticipation was killing me, that truck is spiffy and almost as old as this thread!:)

Hammy, Horkn, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, that's probably why there's swirls.

Any particular product you recommend that is hand applied?

Hammy and brenndatomu like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, if I were to have ordered this truck when I started this thread, it would be almost exactly like this one is optioned.

I can't wait until 5pm today when it is delivered.

17. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I used to love to detail my cars and trucks. These days, my shoulders say no way. Currently, I dont have anything worthy of a detail, so no big deal.

Once I do though, one of my longtime friends is one of the best detailers in the country, so he takes care of my stuff. Seems weird dropping my car off in a line of exotics.

Hammy, Horkn and Canadian border VT like this.
  18. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

My last truck was silver/grey. My current truck is black. I didn't seek out either color, but they were the trucks that had the combination of condition and price I was seeking. Silver truck was basically new, but a demo so it was cheaper. The black one was used but low miles for age and a 1 owner truck which according to service records, very well maintained. I preferred the silver/grey for hiding dirt and road salt. A few upsides of black is that the sun does a better job of melting off snow/ice, and when it is dirty with salt I can see that I need to get it washed. (too often this winter).

Hammy, Horkn and Chvymn99 like this.
  19. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Glad you got what you wanted, life's too short...

Hammy, Horkn, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn

It's not here yet.... They said give them a window of about 30 minutes. I'll give them a couple more minutes before I call.