In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

$5.37........................

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by rottiman, Feb 19, 2019.

  1. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    That's what the kid behind the counter at Taco Bell said to me. I dug into my pocket and pulled out some lint and two dimes, and something that used to be a Jolly Rancher.

    Having already handed the kid a five-spot, I started to head back out to the truck to grab some change when the kid with the Elmo hairdo said the hardest thing anyone has ever said to me. He said, "It's OK. I'll just give you the senior citizen discount."

    I turned to see who he was talking to, and then heard the sound of change hitting the counter in front of me. "Only $4.68," he said cheerfully.

    I stood there stupefied. I am 57, not even 65 yet? A mere child! Senior citizen?

    I took my burrito and walked out to the truck wondering what was wrong with Elmo. Was he blind? As I sat in the truck, my blood began to boil. Old? Me? I'll show him, I thought.

    I opened the door and headed back inside. I strode to the
    counter, and there he was waiting with a smile. Before I could say a word, he held up something and jingled it in front of me, like I could be that easily distracted!

    What am I now? A toddler?

    "Dude! Can't get too far without your car keys, eh?"

    I stared with utter disdain at the keys. I began to rationalize in my mind! Leaving keys behind hardly makes a man elderly! It could happen to anyone!

    I turned and headed back to the truck. I slipped the key into the ignition, but it wouldn't turn.

    What now? I checked my keys and tried another. Still nothing.
    That's when I noticed the purple beads hanging from my rear view mirror. I had no purple beads hanging from my rear view mirror. Then, a few other objects came into focus:

    The car seat in the back seat.
    Happy Meal toys spread all over the floorboard.
    A partially eaten dough nut on the dashboard.

    Faster than you can say ginkgo biloba, I flew out of the alien vehicle.

    Moments later I was speeding out of the parking lot, relieved to finally be leaving this nightmarish stop in my life. That is when I felt it, deep in the bowels of my stomach: hunger!

    My stomach growled and churned, and I reached to grab my burrito, only it was nowhere to be found.

    I swung the truck around, gathered my courage, and strode back into the restaurant one final time. There Elmo stood, draped in youth and black nail polish. All I could think was, What is the world coming to?

    All I could say was, "Did I leave my food and drink in here"? At this point I was ready to ask a Boy Scout to help me back to my vehicle, and then go straight home and apply for Social Security benefits.

    Elmo had no clue.

    I walked back out to the truck, and suddenly a young lad came up and tugged on my jeans to get my attention. He was holding up a drink and a bag. His mother explained, "I think you left this in my truck by mistake."

    I took the food and drink from the little boy and sheepishly apologized. She offered these kind words: "It's OK. My grandfather does stuff like this all the time."

    All of this is to explain how I got a ticket doing 85 in a 40 mph zone. Yessss, I was racing some punk kid in a Toyota Prius. And no, I told the officer, I'm not too old to be driving this fast.

    As I walked in the front door, my wife met me halfway down the hall. I handed her a bag of cold food and a $300 speeding ticket.

    I promptly sat in my rocking chair and covered up my legs with a blankey.

    The good news was that I had successfully found my way home.

    Pass this on to the other "old fogies" on your list (so they can have fun laughing, too).

    Notice the larger type?

    That's for those of us who have trouble reading.

    P.S. Save the earth...... It's the only planet with chocolate!!!!!
     
  2. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::bug::hair::loco: :crazy::cool: Now I just take the discount and the change!:thumbs:
     
    yooperdave, wildwest, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  3. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:... glad that's never happened to me... :whistle:
     
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I've started asking for the SC discount more often nowadays.
    We don't go out often, so I'm not sure it's even worth it. I mean really, do I actually need the 5% off my $17 order at Culvers?:picard:
     
  5. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    I usually ask my self who will I effectively be giving that 5 % if I don't take it.
     
  6. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I've asked at Arby's 3 different times and twice been told "we don't do SC discounts". The 3rd time, the young woman used the "free coffee" button or something.
    Good thought. I'll keep asking. :handshake:
     
  7. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    I figure it's the franchise licensee and they've got enough.
     
    yooperdave, wildwest and papadave like this.
  8. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,713
    Likes Received:
    224,331
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I don't mind getting those discounts at all!
     
    rottiman, Stinny and papadave like this.
  9. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,486
    Likes Received:
    188,752
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::BrianK::BrianK:
     
    yooperdave and rottiman like this.
  10. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    The problem with getting old is that you
     
    papadave, rottiman and Stinny like this.
  11. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I was getting the SC discount at Long John's last year.:bug:

    :BrianK:

    oh, and just yesterday i shaved all my hair off...so i dont have any gray hair...:whistle:

    :rofl: :lol:
     
  12. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    :rofl: :lol:... wait... what?