In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. bogieb

bogieb

I started snow blowing about 5. Did more than I had originally started out to do - did everything but the path thru the pen out back and the path to the compost pile. Did get around both sides of the house and to both gates, then shoveled the other side of the gates before heading out to work. Glad I got all that done because when I got home the roof had dumped so I spent an entire hour chopping it up and moving that stuff. Could easily made igloos out of that compressed stuff. Didn't even bother with the front porch and steps since they aren't used anyway. Got the blower out to finish the paths and that was a big no go - just compressed and pushed the snow, so gave that up and decided it will just stay like that.

Came inside cleaned bird cages and gathered garbage so it is ready for the dump run tomorrow. I have an LOH meeting at 6 in Concord so will only have time for a quick stop in to feed everyone, grab the garbage and drop it off at the dump on my way.

2. bogieb

bogieb

You probably have to pretty much take out the motor to get to the lights if it's anything like the old Focus was. I was going to replace the headlight assemblies but decided I just didn't have the werewithal to remove all the parts (looked like radiator had to come out!!?!!)

3. bogieb

bogieb

I was shocked last Friday. Had to take the Explorer in to replace a headlight. I figured that was a good $100 minimum job. I refused to take it to the dealer I got it from because they way overcharge for service - even for a dealer. Went to the Ford dealer in town and spent a whole $25.04 for the bulb and installation. I thought I had misheard - but no, it was $8.09 for the bulb and $16.95 for the labor. I was more than happy to pay!

Note, that I haven't looked to see how difficult it is to change the headlight bulb - I'm sure it's got more room, but most places will charge you for at least 1/2 hour labor (if your lucky they will charge for less than an hour).

Ssyko, IHATEPROPANE, ivanhoe and 3 others like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

Well, it depends on how good the guy is. Most jobs are "rated" so that they have determined the average time it should take to do the job, and set the rate that way. I knew a guy that would have his "40 hours" in by Wednesday afternoon and take the rest of the week off. The only jobs that I have run into that are actually "by the hour" are chasing down electrical issues and body work.

5. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

"Generally".. it is not a difficult job...
    you just need to wear some of those surgical type gloves,
    (or something) when installing the new bulb...
    They are so hot, that the slight amount of oil on your fingers,
    can cause a premature failure.
    But some.. are a lot more involved..
    Youtube (as you know) can be your best friend at times.. :yes:

Dan

6. bogieb

bogieb

All I know is the 2007 Focus would have taken hours to try to get to the bulb because so much stuff was in the way (and you couldn't get to it from the outside). Previous vehicles I've always changed out my own headlights or marker lights. I would have needed a much bigger garage and many more tools to even attempt it for that car. Decided there was no reason to even look at it for the Explorer, figured it would be just as bad. When the other bulb goes, I'll take a look.

Ssyko, IHATEPROPANE, ivanhoe and 3 others like this.
  7. CleanFire

CleanFire

The '07 Taurus was the same B - you had to remove the front fender cover (aka: front bumper) in order to access the headlamp assembly / bolts to remove it. Rated as a 2.5 hr. job, to change a light bulb - on that vehicle. :thumbs: :loco: :crazy:

8. scajjr2

scajjr2

Had an 04 Santa Fe where you had to take out the battery and it's tray to change the driver's side headlight, passenger side was open easy access. We have two 2015 Toyotas, the Corolla Le has LED lights but the Rav4 XLE has halogen. May change them out for LEDs. Don't do much night driving anymore but the LEDs have a much longer lifespan. At least all the bulbs on both are easily accessible.

My son-in-law is a mechanic and says the main reason of the high labor fees is the cost of the scan tools and subscriptions for parts info, wiring diagrams, mfgr service bulletins, etc for them. I was looking at getting an Autel tablet scan tool. Then I find out the ones they sell on Amazon (for like $500-$1100) are only licensed by Autel USA, made in China and if they break/die there is no support for them. The Autel US made ones run from $780 to over $2000.

The main reason a lot of people don't get their AC fixed is if the evaporator needs to be replaced you have to remove the whole dashboard on almost all cars to get to it. That itself can be $1000 in labor then add the cost of the parts and service for the AC. Spend 2 grand or roll down the window. Oh yeah hand crank windows are a thing of the past now.

I watch the South Main Auto channel on YouTube. Lots of good info, just your average guy who grew up in a family of mechanics. No formal training but he has dealers bring him problems they can't fix. Lots of good troubleshooting techniques.

Sam

imacman, Luneyburg, Ssyko and 4 others like this.
  9. Ssyko

Ssyko

They get their hourly rate from GM. GM pays the dealer $110 an hr for warranty rate, so since they pay it they dictate what the dealer charges. IE. we (GM) pay so they(consumers)pay the same

imacman, subsailor, Luneyburg and 4 others like this.
  10. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Oh yeah... not doubting that at all...
    I changed a bulb on my DIL's Traverse... Shop manual had it down for an hour...
    removing, like you say, half the car..
    A video showed a much quicker time, albeit you did it blind.
    Take the front wheel off, and remove several of the screws that hold
    the plastic inner fender on... pull it back, and reach to the headlight!.
    Maybe ten minutes.

Dan

imacman, Luneyburg, Ssyko and 5 others like this.
  11. will711

will711

Happy B Day ivanhoe Enjoy your day my friend :beerbbq::drunk::drunk::drunk::cheers::cheers::cheers:

imacman, ivanhoe, bogieb and 7 others like this.
  12. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

X2!!!

imacman, ivanhoe, bogieb and 6 others like this.
  13. Rich250

Rich250

14. gbreda

gbreda

Pretty similar here. Did more than I planned, including paths around the house and glad I did. If I had left it for after work it would have been much worse after compacting. At the time I cleaned, upper area was heavy and wet with the bottom few inches still dry so it hadnt had a chance to seep down and freeze.

One path I havent done at all this year is the one going to the basement door, Other than being near the stove exhaust, it isnt used. It also has a hill in the path that would be a frozen ice luge with this year's weather so I have just left it alone. If exhaust needs cleaning I have just shoveled around that area

I did have a little shoveling to do after work on the driveway to clean up a sleet squall that came through around 5PM

imacman, ivanhoe, slvrblkk and 5 others like this.
  15. schoondog

schoondog

I am a auto/truck mechanic and it is frustrating for me too. Funny that I spent an hour yesterday replacing headlight bulbs and wires in a Scion, customer had installed cheap china housings years ago and now the wires are burned/corroded and bolts are rusted and wont come out. And front facia is broken and loose due to customer bumping into things. I got all the lights to work and front body pieces secured but I'm sure customer won't want to pay$90 for my services. But gotta pay for the drill and bits, power probe, crimping pliers and I gotta buy pellets too! Another frustrating thing for us is buying expensive ecm/pcm, modules and such and then having to have the dealerships program them. And we have bought scan tools that cost several thousands of dollars.

Doggy

16. gbreda

gbreda

17. gbreda

gbreda

Service labor costs include many factors-including training and experience. Overpriced labor rates is one thing, but reasonable is well worth it-if it isnt, do it yourself.

IMO, 90 bucks for what you did would be well worth it for me at this time of year. If it were not winter, I would likely try that job myself. Its all about perspective, especially for those who are not mechanically inclined.

I have a mechanic that I trust wont screw me over and I am happy to give him the work that I cant or dont want to do such as winter time repairs. He isnt the cheapest or the most expensive but he is honest and does good work.

imacman, ivanhoe, schoondog and 8 others like this.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

19. CleanFire

CleanFire

X6 - Hope you have a great Birthday ivanhoe ! :thumbs:
    :coldone:

imacman, jtakeman, ivanhoe and 6 others like this.
  20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

X7:yes:

Have a great day :salute:

imacman, jtakeman, ivanhoe and 6 others like this.