In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

In need of a chain learnin.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Greenstick, Oct 29, 2018.

1. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

2. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Never run 050 in 063 bar the cut will wander and wear bar George kahler sales in ny has very good prices on chain as low as 11.50 a loop for oregon chain if you buy 10 loops they have all sizes I have found the cheap chinese chains do not hold edge very well after the first sharpening I usually run and sell oregon or carlton chain many mail order houses can give great deals sometimes even free shipping on quantity orders good hunting JB:yes:

3. Horkn

Horkn

I'll let you know what I find with the resharpened trilink loop I have. I was originally expecting this chain to be at best a chain I used for questionable tree service trees. However I was pretty impressed at how it cut despite all of the safety features and how long it stayed sharp.

I'll still reserve this chain as my tester chain on any wood that might possibly contain metal.

4. JCMC

JCMC

I agree with the others mail-order is the way to go! I prefer Carlton, bought 5 loops a couple years ago for $10.00 a loop Made in Canada. Had a loop left from previous order that was Made in USA. seems like it stays sharp longer than Canadian chains.

5. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I like Stihl and Oregon the best. But that's mainly because I've used more than a mile or 2 of them.
    I'm still looking around for where I put the floating rim+drum set I ordered for my 455 Husky. I got it in the mail, brought it home, opened the box and looked at them. Then I set them someplace where I wouldn't loose them. Guess what I did, can't find them anywhere.

Rope, Aje1967, amateur cutter and 7 others like this.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have bought from loggerchain. And the most recent bulk order I made a few years ago was from left Coast. I think was about $12 shipped for a 3/8 20" loop. The 24" loops were $14ish. This was for full chisel Oregon chain. I live in a small town. It's either go to another town for stihl chain out of my way for about $25 or more each. A husky shop closer for closer to $30 or a buddies truck shop who has Oregon for about $25 who buys from logger chain to resell. Or I buy online and ship to my house in quantity enough to get a deal.

7. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

100' 72CK100U REEL Half Skip SQUARE GROUND CHAIN, 3/8 .050
    For 50 ga. Chain , this will flat amaze most people with a good chisel grind or file.
    People talk a lot about only cutting Clean wood with chisel chain. The thing I don't understand is why in the world would anyone cut dirty wood.

If someone likes slow cutting, high vibration , over working their powerhead ,. By all means , go with a round shouldered cutter. Other than that, clean where the kerf will be. .

100' 75LPX100U Reel Oregon Full chisel saw chain 3/8 .063

For 63 ga. If cutting either hard or soft wood, this chain is really Very good . With a grinder, I prefer to start with round ground chain. Saves having to do bullets 1 time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    amateur cutter, Screwloose and Hammy like this.
  8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Because when wood is skidded in wet or muddy conditions, I gets... "dirty" !!! The dirt gets in bedded into the bark. You have a few options to not cut it "dirty" one would be to pressure wash the whole log, or the other is to chop the bark to the wood where each cut will be made. But both of those will take more time and effort than just sharpening the chain more or just useing semi chisel chain and again sharpening a bit more often.

That said I have had literally cords of wood that I have had my logger load for me that was full of dirt in the bark, from being skidded in the mud.

9. Screwloose

Screwloose

If your cutting yard, fence row, roadside or skidded type wood semi chisel is your friend. I've got RS and RM on rolls and productivity wise RM takes the prize. It's been a while but my local Stihl dealer cut me a deal on 100' rolls.

10. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

RM is fine chain for sure. I agree, it's very hard to fine Stilh chain rolls on any kind of discount. Thankfully, my local Stihl dealer sells loops at 3 for the price of two (33% off DSRP) so that works out just fine by me.

11. chainsawsoldier

chainsawsoldier

I usually run Stihl or Oregon chain, as that’s what the 2 local shops carry. Earlier this year, the local Walmart has some of the Trilink chain on clearance-2 loops for $8-I bought all they had(6 boxes). It was all 3/8LP, so I have been using it on my polesaw and my little echo. I can’t find much different with this chain, but I don’t plan on buying any more unless it’s on clearance. I prefer to spend my $ at the locally owned stores as much as possible.

Screwloose, TBONE and clemsonfor like this.
  12. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I sympathize with anyone that Has to cut dirty wood.
    When chasing on landings under towers I've burned hundreds of gallons of saw gas bumping knots and bucking dirty wood. More than half of that was with company supplied round shouldered chain. I've even done plenty of cutting on my own with round shouldered chain for personal firewood. It is what came on the saws. When it was wore out I went to chisel chain .
    But, seldom anymore do I need to cut dirty wood.

Screwloose and clemsonfor like this.