In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Splitting Done Today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Apr 26, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Just some pictures of the splitting I did today, in the first four pictures the rounds are from three different trees, Sugar and Red Maple, I think the two smaller trees were the Sugar.

    The last of the pictures is a Sugar Maple that came down in one of the wind events last year. All the trees were bucked up this past winter.
     

    Attached Files:

    GrJfer, milleo, basod and 6 others like this.
  2. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Looking great again man :yes:
     
    Stinny and HoneyFuzz like this.
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Smokinpiney, basod, Stinny and 2 others like this.
  4. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    He's saying "shut off that damm splitter" in owl talk :)
     
    HDRock, basod, Stinny and 4 others like this.
  5. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Makin me feel lazy today !!! Great job and pics !!
     
    thewoodlands and Stinny like this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    He gets a break tomorrow, we'll be hanging a gate so it blocks the trail that was used for the snowmobile trail this past winter.

    We have a big yellow birch that's broken off in that area (hung up in a hemlock) just hanging by
    Once the trail dries up we'll start bringing it out. I hope we get less rain in May so I can get more cutting done on the hills, I would like another 3 or 4 cord by the end of the month.
     
  7. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Nice pile of splits. I love listening to the Owls here - they get in a hoot and bark battle with the dogs.
    I've got some Whippoorwills migrating through right now as well - they're a nice alarm clock at 4am
     
    billb3 and thewoodlands like this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Stay safe Basod, I see things are horrible your way.
     
    basod likes this.
  9. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Nice pile of maple you have there. :)

    I have a little maple to cut this month too. Only about a rick or so, just small stuff that needs to be cleaned up.

    When I was a kid, my neighbor, who burned wood in his fireplace all the time, told me maple was his favorite wood to burn because it had a really nice flames when it burned. I Always remembered that, and still watch for the great flames when I burn some maple.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  10. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Aaaa. Found it! Nice pics man. :cool:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  11. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Haven't heard whippoorwills since I was a kid.
    Gone with the hay and cow farms I guess.
    I miss that.



    I split into kindling the very last of my dry pine today.
    If you had told me last Fall my 3/4 cord of pine that no one wanted but me would be gone by May I'd have laughed all day.
    It's gone.

    Still getting a fire going suppertime for overnite.
     
    Fanatical1 and basod like this.
  12. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    I grew up in Maine and never heard one my entire life until I moved down here -never in my previous work locations NC & VA.
    I remember reading about the sound in a Roald Dahl book in my early childhood - to hear the little(actually big) guys firsthand is very soothing. They don't nest here so only from mid April through early June do I hear them...by around June 21-22 the Caddydids take over any noise in the tree tops.

    Too bad you're still burning - but I may have to fire up here by the weekend with company coming in for the Talladega race weekend and lows in the 40's - spring doesn't want to make up it's mind
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I saw this guy today when on my ride, (Great - Horned Owl) he was in a tree just down from where I split this Maple but I was looking at a Deer then all of a sudden he flew out of the tree, I was driving the Rhino so the camera was in the back.
     
    HDRock and My IS heats my home like this.
  14. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Still bet it was a great sight to see.
     
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I usually only see him in the fall or winter so it was a big surprise. He/She must have been hunting mice or moles.
     
  16. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Must have been a sight to see! I hear them occasionally and more often during the winter, but can never find them.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  17. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I usually see him on the southwest side, this was in a different area.
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.