In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Yoopers...sledding advice needed

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RCBS, Jan 24, 2019.

  1. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,306
    Likes Received:
    31,293
    Location:
    Over here
    It was briefly discussed in another thread. A buddy & I are interested in doing a little sledding. UP is the chosen venue, but not opposed to the northern tip. We will only have 1 or 2 days to actually ride. It will take a whole day driving to get up there and another to get home. Will likely be an extended weekend trip.

    I have been looking around online, but not making much progress. Seems there are hundreds of places to stay and go sledding. Hoping to get some suggestions from the FHC members.

    Will be renting sleds and will need lodging. Staying close to trail head and or ski rental preferred.

    Are there areas that have both trails and free ride areas? Any licensing requirements to operate machines? I understand a DOT helmet is required. I was considering taking one of my motorcycle helmets to ride in...any reason that's not a good idea? What is a 'reasonable' rental rate for a machine for a day? I read that prices are usually lower on the UP compared to the Tip?

    What are some things I may not think of ahead of time in regards to this trip?
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
  3. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    You wont find much open area.
    only MI registration if you take your own machine, and you'd need to have your machine reg. and insured.
    dont work very well! rent a helmet also!
    Take cash and credit card, 2 forms of ID.
    know what time the gas stations close.
    we stayed near Munising and road toward Marquette a lot because of snow conditions. Try checking out the conditions at dealers or locals. Hotels will always tell you conditions are good. Make sure you know in advance what it costs to cancel last minute....if conditions change...
     
  4. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I'd go to Maine...northern maine if youre looking for high miles per day
     
  5. Brandon Scott

    Brandon Scott

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2018
    Messages:
    3,338
    Likes Received:
    27,270
    Location:
    Formerly Rabbit Hash
    I misunderstood “sledding”....

    Sledding here is taking a piece of corrugated tin bending one end up at 90 degrees. Attach a rope to drag back. Walk to the top of Palbearer’s Peak and take off. Doctors visit and hospital bills usually ensue. Trees and fence used for brakes.
     
  6. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Looks like $195-215 per day.
    Sounds expensive, but if you only ride a few days per year, thats definitely the way to go!
     
  7. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,306
    Likes Received:
    31,293
    Location:
    Over here
    Reason?

    Not looking to book a flight. UP is a good bit more 'local' to me than is Maine. I must add that I do want to get over to the North East at some point...never been.

    Snowmobilespeak is a little foreign to me as well, but I'm trying to blend in. :thumbs:

    I am prepared to pay up to $250/day for a nice machine. Should be well worth it.
     
  8. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    snowmobile helmets have a breath deflector to keep them from fogging up. which it will do instantly in subfreezing temps
     
  9. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,453
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Also dual pane shields. A motocross helmet, with snow goggles ( dual pane) and a balaclava works great. Single panes will fog/ freeze up, asap
     
  10. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,306
    Likes Received:
    31,293
    Location:
    Over here
    Bell ClickRelease Dual Lens Face Shield - RevZilla ?

    Edit: Breath box also available.
     
  11. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
  12. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    That should keep him busy for a bit, eh Dennis? :thumbs:
     
  13. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,453
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Also, Munising is a great place to go snowmobiling.
     
  14. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,453
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
  15. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    Southern UP has the least snow. North of 28 is always better. North and West of 123 is best. Particularly this year, the tip and southern yoop are going to have marginal snow for awhile yet. February will be better. Marquette and West will have 3 times the snow as the Soo.
     
  16. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,306
    Likes Received:
    31,293
    Location:
    Over here
    Have been zeroing in on Munising. Trying to find a one stop shop...place with lodging and rentals to try and simplify things. There's quite a bit of info to wade through on the Gougal.
     
  17. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    One good way to reach Munising is to park at Manistique and take the Haywire trail north to Shingleton then west to Munising. It can be amazing how the snow depth changes heading north. If I remember rightly, it is about a 35 mile ride from Manistuque to Munising. The trails tends to get pretty rough though if you wait until March but this is when the snow depth is the greatest and the weather can be really nice at the beginning of March.
     
  18. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,306
    Likes Received:
    31,293
    Location:
    Over here
    Weather may be a factor. How cold is too cold for sledding? It's 3* in the area I'm looking at now. lol

    Christmas, MI. White Pines Lodge. Ski rental on site, restaurant across street, casino beside. Their website says local trail access. Christmas is just Northwest of Munising right off the lake.
     
  19. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Its not really that it gets "too cold". But you gotta be careful once it gets down around zero.
    You can get frost bite if any air is leaking through your helmet or between your helmet and collar. And the cold will soak through the front of your pants, upper arms and back.
    I've been out in minus teens. Its really not as much fun below zero.
     
  20. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,306
    Likes Received:
    31,293
    Location:
    Over here
    This is my experience with ATVs back in the day. Snow riding is great, but at some point becomes more about keeping warm than riding. I have started to look at some appropriate attire. I have plenty of cold weather gear, but it is more oriented towards riding on a tractor rather than a snowmobile. 15 degrees + 40 mph is quite different from 15 degrees + 3 mph.
     
    Backwoods Savage and brenndatomu like this.