In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

woodpile visitor after the snowstorm

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by unclefess, Jan 22, 2019.

1. unclefess

unclefess Guest

2. Boogeyman

Boogeyman

I love foxes! Very rare sight around here

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

4. g60gti

g60gti

Very cool. We have a Fox in our neighborhood which is pretty residential. At first I thought that was odd but reading more about them I guess it’s really not. All I know is it’s a really beautiful looking animal. Also, I have a jack hole neighbor a couple houses down who thinks it’s cool to harbor feral cats in his garage and not even try to catch them to get them fixed. Well, I haven’t seen a new kitten around since I’ve been seeing the fox so that’s a plus.

5. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

This one made itself at home on my parents deck.

Attached Files:

Grahamt, Stlshrk, Timberdog and 19 others like this.
  6. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Foxes are awesome.

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I don't think we have foxes on Vancouver Island.

8. Marvin

Marvin

My wife found a fox pup whose mother had been hit on the road a few years ago. They raised him for a few weeks before taking him to a nature preserve. They are very cool animals. He made a "den" on the underside of her mom and dads box spring. They found a collection of his toys stashed away under there.

9. lukem

lukem

The last time I went deer hunting a fox made a huge loop (1000+ yards) around my stand "barking?" the whole way. It was a strange yelp sound. First time I had ever heard one.

10. Casper

Casper

There was a mom and three pups next door this past spring. She had a den under a pole barn. They were pretty dang cute. When she was out hunting they were out playing in the pasture. You could tell when she was heading back cause they would start yipping and venturing away from the opening towards her.

Neat looking animals.

11. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

That will keep the mice population down in the wood pile! Have had a den for a few years by my parent's house on our farm. When I get done cleaning fish I drop the remains near her den, they are gone quickly. Think they appreciate it. Or, they are cussing me for dropping trash by their house and they clean it up!:)

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Not rare here at all, Sheppard put this one in garage last year. As he went towards my daughter going up drive.. Fox's head peeking out lower left corner of garage.. 2819.jpeg

Grahamt, Stlshrk, Screwloose and 15 others like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Thanks for the pictures!

We used to have many fox here and I remember when there was still a bounty on them. But now the coyotes have moved in it is rare to see one here.

14. Brad M

Brad M

Very cool!
    We had a Fox with mange hanging around our neighborhood when I lived In Wisconsin. Neighbors were all concerned and scared because it was getting very close to the houses. I tried to explain that it couldn’t hunt in its condition and was looking for pet food as an easy meal. Fast forward a couple of weeks when I took my dogs to their regular vet visit. Vet said they looked good and did I have any questions. I explained about the Fox and asked if my dogs had to have direct contact to get mange. She said probably but I could think about treating the Fox. I got 3 doses of Ivermectin that I put on hamburger and gave it to the Fox over a 3week period. Cured it and it quit hanging so close to the houses.
    When the vet was filling out the paperwork for the meds, one of the questions was for a name, as you’d expect for a pet. It caught me by surprise but I said “Sylvester, but we call him Sly for short. Sly Fox”

Stlshrk, B.Brown, Screwloose and 11 others like this.
  15. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Have a question. Not totally understanding why he was put in the garage by Sheppard (dog?) I can understand the concern with it going towards your daughter. We had one s while back a while back that became very aggressive when Chaz went to see it. We had concerns that it might have rabies.

16. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

Matting yack... they are actually very vocal critters, especially when its time to “get it on” ha

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yes lady the shepherd, chased him into the garage. We had recently had a snowstorm with about three feet of snow. And the fox only wanted to go on the plowed portion because the snow is over his head.

when I came home I let dog out, she told me 3x something was wrong, but I told dog to go get Lil girl from bus at end 1/4 mile drive.. Fox went towards daughter.. Kept nipping it herding it back up drive. It went in garage.. Called dog off.

Yup dog a week later was treated for parasitic Mange. It was expensive but less traumatic for dog then 12 yo daughter, I hope..

18. Midwinter

Midwinter

JFks5SD.jpg

19. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

They are opportunistic. We have 1 to 3 some nights eating sunflower seeds under our bird feeders. They might also take the mice there too, but I have seen them eating the seeds. They coexist with our timber wolves up north. The wolves keep the coyotes down, which probably benefits the foxes. We have what we call a cross fox, which is a silver/grey phase fox. I think it is a color variant to the traditional red ones, but they are the same size.

20. billb3

billb3

Some say if you have coyotes you won't have foxes and from my experience this is partially true.
    When we had coyotes that stayed in the area there was no sign of foxes but when the coyotes left and only pass thru occasionally we have both.
    When we had the coyotes staying in the area we had no rabbits and I didn't need fences around the garden.