In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Custom Flue Damper Handle

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jrcurto, Jan 21, 2019.

  1. jrcurto

    jrcurto

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2013
    Messages:
    144
    Likes Received:
    526
    Location:
    SW Connecticut
    Jon "Fishingpol" the Blacksmith made me this extended damper rod with a maple leaf handle a while ago. It took this cold snap to get me motivated to dissasemble the stove pipe, clean the flue, and install it. It works perfect and obviously adds a nice touch with that sweet golden maple leaf . It operates so smooth now too. The damper handle now sits off to the right side enough so that I'm not reaching in and around the eco fan, kettle, and chicken stew to get to it. Been burning white ash, cherry, pignut hickory and oohhh so nice 75 deg on the first floor. Thanks Jon!
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Slocum

    Slocum

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2018
    Messages:
    1,363
    Likes Received:
    10,488
    Location:
    North Central Indiana
    I like the damper but I really like your buffet of wood around your hearth!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Nice install you have there. I'm glad it is working out. I'm also jealous of the cooktop on the Jotul.
     
  4. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Ah yes, fishingpol, the master! Jon has many talents!

    You can also give that handle a coat of paint to match the stove if you want, or even paint it a different color to give some nice contrast. I'd also be tempted to pain the leaf with red and yellow to make it look like a fall leaf.
     
    fishingpol, moresnow and Eric VW like this.