In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Air Control Problem?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ReelFaster, Jan 16, 2019.

1. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

So the past week or so I've noticed when I turn the air way down I can hear for lack of a better word a kind of whistling sound which seemingly is coming from the air control.

Initially I thought it was the gasket on the door maybe going bad (I still want to do the dollar test) and not creating a good seal but after closer air inspection it's coming from behind the blower mount in the front.

I can also say I notice when the air turned down the FB is seems to be getting more air then in the past. Before if I shut the air off the fire would all but go dead shortly after, but now seems to be getting air still even though its fully shut.

Could my air control be faulty? I haven't looked but can I even access the air control to inspect it make sure it working properly? I will look at my Drolet manual again but I don't recall seeing info on that but maybe I missed.

Could it be a stronger draft the past week or so? We have had some pretty colder temps the past week or so.

As always thanks fellas!

2. Marvin

Marvin

:popcorn:

Eric VW and bear 1998 like this.
  3. chris

chris

Control does not control all air intakes only main so you could be hearing something from one of the others with a real strong draft or just the wind whistling past the flue top.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

For sure you are getting a better draft with the colder temps. Next week should be even colder. Whistling is odd in a stove but sometimes you definitely could hear wind whistling past the top of the chimney.

Eric VW, bear 1998 and ReelFaster like this.
  5. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Past week or so has been the coldest all winter since I've had the stove for sure. Whistling is probably a poor choice of words. Its sounds like the draft is really strong and with air shut its still trying to suck air up but can't and creating the sound. I'll try and video it and post. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Sorry I missed this post. Strong or crazy winds (or really cold and so-so wind even) make my stove whistle like crazy. You don't really hear it with the blower going, but it sure does whistle when choked down. I think it's from the air flow being restricted, and then the air speed tries (or does) increase to a certain point. But eventually it hits the wall and can't flow any faster.

The colder it is, the better your draft will be, more or less noticeable depending on your set up. Burning season for us starts at 50 F and downwards to the -40 f or even cooler with wind. And on one end, it barely wants to get out of bed, and on the other, it's like lighting a rocket and letting it go for the most part.:)

It is possible that your air plate is loose, I had that problem with my stove and snugged it up.

bear 1998, Eric VW and ReelFaster like this.
  7. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Thanks saskwoodburner !!! That about sounds like exactly what's going on and you said it much better than I did :thumbs:

I am going to dig up my manual see if I can't access my air control plate and see if its not loose. If it's in good shape am gonna chalk it up to being cold and a strong draft.

bear 1998, saskwoodburner and Eric VW like this.
  8. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Removed the blower and did a little poking around behind it this weekend. I was able to check the air plate and that seemed pretty snug but I think I see what I am hearing. Looks like there is a hole in the middle of the air plate (was surprised to see this, is that normal?), so when its fully shut and there is a strong draft air is being restricted like saskwoodburner mentioned resulting in the sound I am hearing. Thanks again fella's I keep learning new stuff!

20190120_093533.jpg 20190120_093610.jpg

saskwoodburner, Maina and Marvin like this.
  9. fishingpol

fishingpol

Looks like the EPA- hole. There so the stove is not "airtight" to the point it is not smouldering when shut down all the way.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    ReelFaster likes this.
  10. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Gotcha!!! Makes so much sense, thank you!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk