In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Echo CS-680 or Used Husqvarna 365 X-Torq?

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by dingbat, Jan 12, 2019.

1. dingbat

dingbat

Saving for a milling saw to run on a 24" Alaskan. Need to be able to lug this set-up up and down some pretty steep woods on foot.

Was thinking the Echo CS-680 would be just enough to get the job done (66.8cc) given plenty of time, and wasn't pushing my budget too badly.
    Stopped in a pawn shop today to see what they had and there was a Husqvarna 365 xt (70.7cc) they offered me for $400 out the door. Saw looks well used, but not too bad. Likely come out about the same as the Echo price-wise after putting some parts in it.

What would you do? Risk an unknown used saw for the four extra cc, or go with new and a 5 year warranty.

Also, feel free to chime in if you think I'm nuts thinking of milling with either of these or you want to recommend a saw you love for milling that's not over $600-$800.

imwiley1 likes this.
  2. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Love my 365...can’t say about the Echo but haven’t heard a bad word about them. However, I would get the “new” Echo with the warranty. Wear it out for 5 years and then give us your report.

My 2 cents...

Canadian border VT and dingbat like this.
  3. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I would save up for the biggest saw you can afford. When milling the bigger the better. I have a 24" bar on one of my mills and it is 83cc. I believe echo and Husqvarna are both good saws but like the old saying goes there is no replacement for displacement.

4. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Good call...

dingbat and Mag Craft like this.
  5. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Hey, my 2 cents 60cc saws for milling 18" max if you go 20'' you should use 325 rip and it still will be slowwww Most of the time pro saws used are a real gamble somebody usually buys them to use hard and used they most of the time are used up when they get rid of them 24'' milling you should have at least 80cc its tough enough on a saw without it being underpowered to start with and 80cc saws arent to heavy to carry far :yes: JB

dingbat, Mag Craft and Brandon Scott like this.
  6. trail twister

trail twister

Me I would spend my money for a ECHO.
    I don't like buying from a pawn shop any thing. Never know if the saw was stolen from some poor fellow.

:D Al

huskihl, dingbat and Brandon Scott like this.
  7. dingbat

dingbat

CS-490 with a 20" bar on the mill now. 13 1/4" is as far as it'll open without pinching the chain. Think the most I could get out of the 24" mill is a 17"-18" width. But I hear you. Thinking maybe I'll just have to save a little longer and get a CS-800.

Brandon Scott and Mag Craft like this.
  8. dingbat

dingbat

Thought definately crossed my mind. This place is small and local, and I know the father of one of the guys that runs it. Fairly certain they do their best to run a clean operation in that regard. The saw being whooped though....

Brandon Scott and Mag Craft like this.
  9. trail twister

trail twister

I have decided I will do some milling with my Jred 2159 and home made rig I measured and will be able to get 14 1/2 inches with the 20 inch bar.

But is I like doing it I see a ECHO 800P in my future.

:D Al

Czed and dingbat like this.
  10. Czed

Czed

There's a new 70cc echo coming out
    Don't know when
    Looks promising
    Red97
    Knows the 800p
    Might have some input.

dingbat likes this.
  11. dingbat

dingbat

Interesting... Maybe it will be out by the time I've squirreled enough dough away. If price is in line with what they've offered to date it could turn out to be just the spot I'm trying to hit.