Working on a farm that has had a bunch of wind damaged trees. Manager offered me a good sized hickory for firewood. It looked better for a log. MS 241 for scale. How should I mill the butt log with the full crack at the base that runs up the log and partly through on the other side?
I would try to get the crack horizontal on the mill so hopefully only 1 slab would be affected. Also try to level the crack from end to end to keep waste to a minimum. I'm no pro, but I've had a few of those to deal with. Sometimes they line up well and the spit is cut out in one slab and other times it just doesn't work out so well. Post some pix when you open them up. Do you have a project in mind for this wood?
That should make some nice flooring looks like the but log could have some rot in it but that second log looks real nice great find on the good side if the but log only makes some good boards its always good for heat keep the update coming