In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Rubble and stumps.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Apr 25, 2014.

  1. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Going to work on the new road while cleaning the yard up as well. About half a day on each. I've abandoned the other clean up project on account of it being to wet down there. Some pics. A few of the culvert I moved down a little. So the curve in the old road will be gone and the old road will T into the new one. And that way this culvert will take care of drainage for both of the them.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Looks good! And, the weather seems to be helping. Nice.
     
    HoneyFuzz and Gasifier like this.
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Yes. The weather is great. Looks like we will get some rain tonight and maybe get some tomorrow. Would be nice if I could burn my piles of brush and branches tonight while it rains.
     
    HoneyFuzz and Stinny like this.
  4. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Here is a shot of the new road going through the woods. I dug out a couple of stumps but some others I just cut off. The rest will also just be cut close to the ground. They will have over a foot of fill and crushed stone on top of them.
     

    Attached Files:

    HoneyFuzz and Stinny like this.
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I know you'll have the camera bolted to yer head if you burn… ? ;)
     
    HoneyFuzz and papadave like this.
  6. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks

    Nice project.
    You got your own gravel pit & crusher plant too ? :)
     
    HoneyFuzz, papadave and Stinny like this.
  7. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    LOL. Unfortunately no. I do have a place very close to where I am building the new road where the family has dumped clean fill for many years. It is a mixture of bricks, stones, blocks, dirt, etc. There is probably three large dump truck loads (10 wheelers) there. The only problem with it is I have to dig it up with the backhoe, then scoop it up with the loader and move it. It is time consuming. But, I do not have the money for buying that much large fill right now. So I am just taking my time and digging up a little bit here and there and moving it. The bricks, large rocks, blocks, etc., make for a good sturdy base. I will go over the fill with some crushed stone as I get the money. This road will eventually be the new main road back to the camp. Most of it was the old road to the camp. It just has not been used in many years. If I do get some extra work and can afford to buy some cheap fill, I may do that. Lot quicker to have it dumped close by and pick it up with the bucket and dump it right where I want it. The truck could not get to where I would want him to dump it. It will take quite a while to build this road. But that's okay. I have one that we can use for now. The one the family has been using for years. But we made the decision we want that road to be moved. Many reasons, long story. Safety being top priority. The existing road enters the main road near a hill top. And people drive way too fast and don't even slow down as they come over the hill. Not to mention they may be doing their hair, or arguing on the phone with someone and not be paying attention! See, ya got me started Dave. LOFL

    Sorry for the novel. :emb:

    :D
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  8. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I will try to snap a picture or two. The only problem is it will be dark out. The rain is suppose to start much later. Like probably after 9pm. That is a good thing because I won't burn unless it is raining, don't want to take any chances. Only problem is I am going back to work right now and I am getting tired already. Hopefully get a few more things done before dark. The large pile is loaded with paper at the base in about six different spots. Hope I catch it all at the right time tonight! The ground is still soaking wet down there at the bottom of the hill. Water laying on top of the ground in many areas around the piles.
     
    HoneyFuzz and Stinny like this.
  9. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    I've got loads hauled for fill in by back yard.
    Construction jobs needing a place to dump the over burden stuff.

    Got some free pit run gravel, had a nice pad made but then got a chance for a few thousand yards of fill so it got covered. (Neighbor & my lot)
    Back yard got bigger with a slight taper for drainage. 4 - 5' of fill. lots of level ground for firewood. :)
    new seed late, not sure it made it thru winter
    DSCF1560.JPG

    Anyway my point is
    you might ask around the construction, dirt moving guys , road projects etc....
    they might hook you up with some "clean fill" (free or real cheap)
    They seen to always need a place to dump, if close by, they save $$.
     
  10. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Good idea bogydave. I will start talking to a few guys I know. I haven't seen them in a long while. Good for you on the hook up of that much fill! WOW.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  11. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Hey Dave. I just talked to a guy I know in the business of moving stone, dirt, and doing jobs with heavy equipment. He told me he can bring me single axle dump truck loads of what he calls tailings, the left overs of screening for top soil, for $75. He is not far from my house, and I think I can probably make a better deal with him if I buy a bunch of it. I also talked to him about bringing me a load of crushed stone. That is $150. I need that for one area I have done now and need something sturdy for the top. I have to travel this area with whatever I bring to keep adding go the new road. So I told him I will be ordering some from him. Unfortunately he could not deliver tomorrow or Sunday. That puts things off for a couple weeks. I'm swamped for the next ten days anyway. Between work and spending time with wife and kids!
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  12. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    6 tractors with 20 yard side dumps,
    dozers & water trucks . Quite a show.
    Hauled for 2 days


    Sounds like a good deal.
    Figure 8 - 10 yards per truck load ?
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  13. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    You are not messin around...great pics :)
     
  14. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I think that sounds about right Dave. He said they would be single axle trucks. I think he said his trucks are allowed to carry 10 ton. 10 x 2000 lbs. equals 20,000 lbs. If hauling dirt and stone mix of the fill, I am thinking he may be able to get 8 yards in them. That would be at 2500lbs a yard. If I have that info right.

    I have not finished looking and asking around. Just got started. I would like to see if I can find some free fill like you did. We will see.
     
    Stinny likes this.