In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

With my kiddo learning to saw, I bought a new sharpener

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Casper, Dec 28, 2018.

  1. Casper

    Casper

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2017
    Messages:
    1,710
    Likes Received:
    9,667
    Location:
    Ohio
    eBay has a 15% discount tonight until 6pm PST. ( POPUPSAVINGS ) My son has been finding the ground, some metal and a few weeks ago, the tooth of an excavator. Needless to say I have a few chains that need attention.

    I have some $ earmarked for something to replace the Harbor Freight 29.00 sharpener. Pulled the trigger on this a little bit ago.
    Screenshot_20181228-175915_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20181228-175931_Chrome.jpg
     
    Hammy, Marvin, huskihl and 5 others like this.
  2. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,746
    Likes Received:
    62,028
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Pricey, but hopefully worth every penny.

    Next you can learn him on chain sharpening.
    :yes:
     
  3. Casper

    Casper

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2017
    Messages:
    1,710
    Likes Received:
    9,667
    Location:
    Ohio
    He's taking Precision machining this year. He's learning all about hand sharpening of tooling. Angle, relief clearance will come to him soon enough.
     
    Hammy, tamarack, huskihl and 5 others like this.
  4. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,640
    Likes Received:
    33,343
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Seems like a great price to me.
    Always glad to hear of kids learning the trade.
     
    Hammy, Casper, farmer steve and 3 others like this.
  5. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,738
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Nice chain grinder. You will not be disappointed with that one and your chains will cut like nobody's business once you learn the workings of it.
     
    Hammy, farmer steve, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  6. Casper

    Casper

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2017
    Messages:
    1,710
    Likes Received:
    9,667
    Location:
    Ohio
    I've got the perfect chain to practice on.
    I'll practice in this:
    IMG-20170127-134725916-134717.jpg
     
    Hammy, Marvin, Mag Craft and 2 others like this.
  7. Casper

    Casper

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2017
    Messages:
    1,710
    Likes Received:
    9,667
    Location:
    Ohio
    The chain not the HF grinder.
     
    Hammy, Chaz and amateur cutter like this.
  8. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,998
    Likes Received:
    48,781
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    :eek::bug:Get the decimal point over a notch on the raker gauge? :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
    Hammy, OldJack, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  9. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,998
    Likes Received:
    48,781
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    I've got the older version of that grinder & it does a really good job.
     
  10. Casper

    Casper

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2017
    Messages:
    1,710
    Likes Received:
    9,667
    Location:
    Ohio
    That chain was on a 391 I bought and few yrs ago. I have no idea why they filed the depth gauges off. I was going to have to forged into a blade at an annual event local to us, but haven't yet.
     
    Hammy, Chaz and amateur cutter like this.
  11. farmer steve

    farmer steve

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    Messages:
    1,966
    Likes Received:
    14,384
    Location:
    top of the hill york co. PA.
    Learn him on chain sharpening first. Less chance he'll hit dirt and rocks the next time you are out sawing.:whistle:
     
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  12. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,872
    Likes Received:
    121,555
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    So true!
     
    Hammy, amateur cutter, Casper and 2 others like this.